Need a recommendation on a control board

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
tas99
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Need a recommendation on a control board

Post by tas99 »

I have a DIY plasma cutter and I want to upgrade it's control system.

Are there any recommendations on what would be the best machine control board. I'll be using Mach 3, a torch height controller, DM542T stepper drivers, touch-off height control on the Z and dual steppers on the X axis.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need a recommendation on a control board

Post by acourtjester »

Hi Tom what THC do you have, a step above would be the UCCNC setup like this one https://www.cnc4pc.com/uc400eth-etherne ... ler-b.html About $200 for the 400th and software. That is what I have on my DIY now better than Mach. Or you can go for the Linuxcnc, I am moving lowly one that electronics and software for a new table. I'm other will kick in with info to help.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tas99
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by tas99 »

The THC I'm using is a Proma 150.

I looked at the board you suggested and I'm a bit confused - mainly because I understand how to use a plasma cutter but not so much on the electronics. It looks like the board has a number of inputs and outputs but nothing to control the stepper drivers. Am I missing something?

Tom
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Yes you can hook 2 normal Printer port type BOB for control signals for motors, home, limit switches as a way to get more than the 5 for a single BOB.
I am using only 1 BOB there is a short cable the connects the BOBs to the 400TH or their other boards. The advantage is you can use an ether cable to connect to the PC, it is getting to the point of no parallel post PC around. You Proma would hook up just like normal with the 3 input signals. Fon't look at the BOB sold by other with the Eagle on it as it only has 4 inputs, no workie for Plasma with THC.
this still applies if you need a BOB or 2
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=32323&p=196926&hilit=bob#p196926
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”