Torch Mount CTH3T collision wiring question

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Torch Mount CTH3T collision wiring question

Post by ChrisO »

I am looking at replacing the existing Torch Mount with a CTH3T-01. It has Proximity Switches that are used for collision detection. See attached. I am looking to see if anyone has any experience with how the torch mount collision process works.
The mount has 2 NPN NC Proximity switches for the collision.
In guessing, this is what I have come up with:
When the Torch Mount is powered and is in use in a "non-Collision" state it appears that the sensors will be detecting metal, and therefore these NPN NC switches will be "activated" so the output of these sensors will be open or (not connected).
When the Torch is struck and the mount tripped, the sensor will close and will now provide 0VDC out. Anyone know?

Second question, was the manufactures intention to wire the 2 switches together? And if so, should it be done IAW the attached?

I appreciate any thoughts you have to offer.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Torch Mount CTH3T collision wiring question

Post by 34by151 »

I have the same on works well for me

Rather than tying to type out how to adjust it there is a good video on youtube that shows this
Here is the link

ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ChrisO »

Thanks for the response, the video provides great info on how the torch mount is to be adjusted( mechanically) but I was hoping for some insight on how the torch mount works electrically.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Ok the first thing is his assembly is using mechanical switches not Proximity Switches so there may be a different adjustment for those. You can Google to see how NPN Proximity Switches work. The wiring in the lower image shows the hook up to have the 2 collision sensors in series the input to CNC controller would go to a limit to trigger stopping the table movement. The other one is similar to a floating head switch as it is set to see the torch upward movement when the tip touches the metal. You will need to find the trip distance to set the correct torch height as you would do with a floating head switch.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”