hypertherm 45xp randomly won't cut

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
urshadow
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

hypertherm 45xp randomly won't cut

Post by urshadow »

Just started this problem where it will pierce and not cut, Follows the pattern and will go to the next place, pierce and then cuts just fine. You have no idea when are where it is going to happen. Have been able to stop cutting before the outer edge and redo the file and attempt to cut out missing pieces. Have had a couple refuse to cut, have change pierce points, outside offset and just will pierce and shuts off and goes around where it is supposed to cut. Replaced the breakout board, when we found out F5 will fire the torch, but then shuts off. Can jump the connections to the touch at the breakout board and torch fires the way it should, hence the replacement. New board same problem. It's a Premier PLasma table and has done everything I have asked it to.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: hypertherm 45xp randomly won't cut

Post by acourtjester »

You did not state the thickness of the metal you are cutting, could you have a mismatch of consumables. Are you using the super copper electrode? You could have an air flow issue, do you have the work lead attached directly to the metal.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Sounds like its not transferring the arc properly every time.

Does it do this right from the start of a project or further into the project?

Is your ground clamp on cleanly and securely? Is your material clean?

Check your swirl ring and be sure your electrode slides up and down inside of it with ease.

Be sure your have 100psi coming into the back of your plasma cutter.
BeckerFab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by BeckerFab »

I use to have a lot of these issues and was able to 99.9% resolve them by going with a magnetic grounding clamp

I also make sure to clean the tip after every cut to get ride of the small slag. I also shoot anti slag spray on the nozzle and cup. This greatly reduces the build up and seems to improve my cuts.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I agree with all three assessments above. It also sounds like you might be loosing your torch trigger signal intermittently.
David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”