electrodes exploding

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Mks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

electrodes exploding

Post by Mks »

im using a flashcut program and thermal dynamics A120 power source on a water table. Electrodes are literally exploding the end off. I end up with half the electrode left .Any ideas would be appreciated
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: electrodes exploding

Post by weldguy »

That can happen if you overuse the electrode or if you have extremely bad air containing oil vapor and or water
Mks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mks »

thank you I will check the air but it should be good
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Look inside your nozzle and around the shaft of the electrode. If you see black or gray swirling marks this is carbon from the contamination in your air burning up and an indication that you need to clean up your air supply.

Also once you see the divet that forms in the end of the electrode get to be around 1/32" deep you should think about replacing it. I have seen entire torches destroyed from electrode blowing up.
Mks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mks »

I dont see any swirling marks on the electrode and air seems to be clean thank you
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I am guessing that you may be just using the electrodes for too long. Once the hafnium insert in the center gets too small the copper electrode will melt down.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”