Setting .06

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Setting .06

Post by Joe243672 »

When you guys set your table up for offsets are you setting cut height of the shield or actual nozzle. It seems to me that the nozzle tip is actually not even with shield. it sits inside a little. this is on i hypertherm 85 with machine torch. Just wondering because my cuts have dross and i go by book settings and cant seem to get real clean cuts. I have a precision plasma setup with c and cnc g5 computer and control setup. My cut height is .06 off of shield.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Hypertherm pm 85 cpc rs-485
Miller 252 mig
Miller dynasty 280 Tic/stick
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
4x8 precision plasma table
G5 c and cnc controls
“ the Shop “ were it all happens
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Setting .06

Post by robertspark »

are you using the right nozzle and shield combination?

(always worth checking and double checking)

https://5.imimg.com/data5/OH/TF/MY-2532 ... 00x500.png

I just set it from the lowest item that touches the material at touchoff
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

What material and thickness are you cutting? And which page in the Hypertherm 65/85 cut charts are you using for your settings and consumable selection?
David
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

Using the cutting tools given in sheetcam setup from c and cnc. and i havent tried cutting anything over 1/4 inch . 1/4 was bad and even 10 gauge is bad.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

The CandCNC owners manual has a procedure for checking your cut height and cut voltage. Basically you make a straight line cut at the prescribed height with the DTHC turned off. Pay attention to the cut voltage versus the set voltage. They probably are not the same. The cut charts are a best case setup.
On my table the voltage varies a bit from the cut charts, so I had to change the tool table to agree with the actual cut voltage.

Steve

Edit: There are other things that could also affect your cut quality, such as where your work clamp is located (on the table or on the material). The CandCNC manual walks you through a lot of the things you need to look out for.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

Yeah i did all those setup procedures. My cutting voltage is accurate it is within 1-3 volts at all times. The cutting height maintains at .06 when i stop and check with feeler gauges its always at the .06 off the shield. Thats why i was wondering if i should set off the nozzle tip. I have clean dry air. i use the 3 stage sharpe drier system plus a motor guard plus the hypertherm water separator on back of plasma cutter. it seems to me at the chart speeds that it may still be cutting to fast. The cut lines in the steel are always at an angle not a bad angle but at a forward angle. Motors are tuned perfect. is there a setting somewhere for speed of steppers like my steppers are moving faster then the speed that they are programmed to. Other then the dross it seems to cut great. Im also using a water table. Ive read that that can cause dross also.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

what does the cut look like?

is it bevelled, straight?

there will always be trailing lines in.my opinion, the worse they are you probably want to look at replacing consumables

https://westcottplasma.com/how-to-impro ... ps-tricks/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 8763722104
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

To eliminate dross you will want to travel faster and not slower. Slower removes more material, puts more heat into the plate, and will certainly produce more dross. Do straight line cuts to not waste material and experiment with speeding it up a little at a time, the sparks will trail to arc more with each speed increase until eventually its not even cutting through anymore. Find the happy spot between what you have been using for speed and the point where it no longer can cut through. Keep in mind that may have to tweak your arc voltage a little to maintain the proper .060" cut height when running faster. This may help your dross but sometimes it can simply be the material your cutting, not all steel is created equal.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”