losing arc after pierce

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Mckee620
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

losing arc after pierce

Post by Mckee620 »

Every time I try to cut a part on 22 G cold rolled steel, with my CNC table, the plasma cutter pierces the piece and then loses the arc and continues running through the motions of the program. It then goes on to correctly cut out all the additional parts for that job. It happens every time, no matter what the first part is. It is grounded to the material. New consumables. No water in the line. Parts run fine on 16G material, so it's not the G code. It seems to have something to do with the lighter weight material. Any assistance would be appreciated. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a video of it but apparently we're not able to upload videos but would be happy to email to anyone who would like to see it.
Thanks
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: losing arc after pierce

Post by djreiswig »

Try firing the torch in the air before your first pierce. It could be that the pierce delay is longer when the post flow air isn't running. I know this is an issue when trying to peck pierce.

If you provide more details on your system it will help with troubleshooting.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: losing arc after pierce

Post by weldguy »

It is likely that your pierce delay time is too long. Thinner materials pierce faster and easier than thicker and require less of a delay. I am guessing your using a Hypertherm plasma cutter and for folks that are not fully in tune with their system yet I suggest putting the Hypertherm plasma into Continuous pilot arc mode used for expanded metal which will allow the arc to remain lit even if there is no material underneath it. This REALLY helps new operators to eliminate these frustrating little events that happen when your first getting started.

ExpandedMetal.PNG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”