NEVER Again!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
TXTig
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

NEVER Again!

Post by TXTig »

Wanted to share my Oh S*^% moment. My main plasma cutting focus is custom airplane weathervanes. They turn out well and I receive a lot of referral business and up until this project I would try to accommodate a customer request even though the project was outside of my interest and normal work. I can normally draw up a design from a napkin drawing although in hindsight I've not been charging enough to spend all the extra time.

Had a request from a friend to make this artwork. As it was a complex piece I let her know I'd only work on it when I was slow and it might take some time. After a couple of months of working on this during slack time I was ready to cut some metal. If I had priced it right the cost would have been $500+. Since she was a friend and good customer I offered it for half that amount. I triple checked the piece to make certain I wouldn't have any drops and everything checked. I included the photo of the piece right off the table to show that there were no drops, however after cleaning the dross off the back, the middle of an "e" dropped out ruining the entire piece.

Decided to cut my losses and not cut another piece. Am going to try and build up a TIG weld today and see if it will be presentable. I've ruined pieces before but a small aircraft and 5 minutes doesn't hurt as much as a 25 x 30 piece, 2 finecut tips and 1 electrode.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: NEVER Again!

Post by acourtjester »

Ouch interesting only that one dropped out, I would not tig it but fashion a replacement part and mig it, and put some flat
copper behind it. The reason I say mig is you are applying the metal in the weld in an instant, with tig you will need to apply heat first and may burn more away. Unless you are really good a fusion tig very low power. I am not a pro welding just a active hobby welding.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

That's disapointing but aside from the drop out it looks fantastic! I'm with AC on the mig weld weld. Find the drop and tack it in and smooth it out with a grinder, i've had to do that many times. Good luck!
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I'm with the others. I would cut a piece and mig it in place and grind smooth.
You are learning your machine. Should not have needed two nozzles and an electrode for that job. You are also learning the limits of your machine/torch with regard to bridge size, etc. On a piece like that I would size it about 15% larger and you probably would have been fine.
Looks good though.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Yup MIG it and don't hang around. Fast in fast out. You can do it. I did a sign for someone and the barbershop pole dropped out. My fault. I found a tiny bridge and migged it in and sanded it down. You could not tell.
TXTig
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by TXTig »

Since I’m better with TIG decided to use the TIG. Used a super sharp .0625 tungsten with .035 309L wire @40A. Cut out an “e”, snipped off the needed piece and stuck it on. Came out really well IMHO. It will all get powder coated after blasting so the repair will be seamless.
B1FC8DB1-4D6B-49A7-B45B-CBA3D617EB46.jpeg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jmersereau
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jmersereau »

Great fix! TIG works great when you are good at it!

Jim
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
LightBurn, SheetCAM, FireControl
YESWELDER Digital MIG-205DS MIG
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TXTig wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:01 pm Since I’m better with TIG decided to use the TIG. Used a super sharp .0625 tungsten with .035 309L wire @40A. Cut out an “e”, snipped off the needed piece and stuck it on. Came out really well IMHO. It will all get powder coated after blasting so the repair will be seamless.
Nice work on that repair. No one will ever notice it, especially after it is painted.
David
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I ain't no tig expert at all, but I do a little bit at work. I personally would also go tig because you have much more control. You can heat the area until it's hot, heat it until it melts, add a little filler, etc. Guess it depends on how good or bad you are with it.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
TJS

Post by TJS »

Nice save.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

With a handle like TXTig your good at tig :Like :Yay
This opens up a question do you know how to move nodes around to correct for small bridges in the drawing. You can look at past posts showing how this is done. have fun Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”