Help me optimize my table (video included)

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
MountainWerks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Help me optimize my table (video included)

Post by MountainWerks »

Hey Everyone,

I have been having some problems dialing in the cut quality on my set-up. I have an Arclight table that I have been happy with, but I want to eek out every last bit of performance to cut down on my finishing work and increase productivity. I'm looking for recommendations from any experts (or at least people who know more than me!). In the video below and have a quick run-down of my setup, design, and some cuts using some different settings.

If you have a chance to take a look and make some recommendations I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Help me optimize my table (video included)

Post by WyoGreen »

I watched your video, and I do have a few suggestions. First off, the work clamp you have to the slats should be to the metal you're cutting. Those rough, slag coated slats are not the best conductors.

Second, while the settings in the plasma cutter owners manual are close, they may be a little off for your table. You need to make some straight line test cuts with the DTHC off, on the metal you are going to cut. Set the piece height, cut height, and voltage to what the tool table shows. Start the cut and pay attention to the cut voltage your screen shows. It hopefully will be the same as the cut charts voltage (but probably will not be). Note that voltage, and change your tool table voltage to agree with it. Run the test again with the new voltage and the DTHC on. Stop the cut mid cut and measure the cut gap. It should be the .060 that the tool table shows. If not, more testing.

Moving on to your air supply, if you live in a dry climate like I do, it may be ok, although I would put the desiccant in your filter bowl (that you said was not in there). If you live in a humid climate, then you have more work to do. Too much moisture in the air supply will lead to short consumable life. We'll leave that go for now and concentrate on the 1st two suggestions.

Let us know how things worked out with these suggestions, and we'll fine tune from there.
Good luck, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I second WyoGreen on the test cuts. You need to be sure you are maintaining the 0.06 cut height.
I also noticed that your electrode seems to have some markings around the outer edge. I couldn't tell if this was pitting or just discoloration. It could be a sign of contamination in your air supply. I couldn't see what the inside of the nozzle looks like, but if you have a lot of marking there that is also a sign of contamination.
On thinner material I would also suggest using a shorter dthc delay. I usually go with 1".
The wonky edges could be an indication of backlash in your table. Lock your motors and try and move each axis. Any movement is going to give you rough cuts.
Also make sure your torch is square to the material in all directions. If not, you will get a parallelogram type of angularity. Hope that helps.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Since volts are cut height make sure your preset is correct. Make sure your consumables match your amperage (Your hypertherm is in auto regulation mode,...aka not displaying BAR air pressure on the screen) and that your using the correct preset volts for your nozzle (ie...45 regular...45 finecut) and your feedrate override is set at 100%. You see there are many variables that must be correct for a good plasma cut. There are no machines that are push button get biscuit per say. And to throw a wrench in your mix you are using softpierce which means you are using the serial port on the back of the hypertherm which will be subject to proper air pressure, amperage settings coming from the toolset. So now it is either your issue or the toolset you got is blatently wrong. This is really easily solved by listing part numbers of your consumables (You have a finecut ohmic nozzle in the video...which means your preset volts should not exceed 80) and tool conditions. Then it can be determined exactly what is wrong.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”