Ess tmc3in thc i issues

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Jgorm
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Ess tmc3in thc i issues

Post by Jgorm »

I've been struggling to get this combo to work correctly for over a year now. I'm not sure, but i think this is the combo that candcnc uses in this systems. I know it works great for some, but mine does all kinds of weird things and I'm considering upgrading. When is working correctly it's works ok, but then it does weird things like firing the torch on the first rapid and ruining the piece, or jogging stops working, or enable button stops functioning. Thc took forever to get functional and was only after the third version of mach 4, ess plug-in, and tmc plug-in where it started working at all. I must have 100 hours into troubleshooting issues and reloading software. Should i keep trying, or switch to something else? If switch, what should i go to? Flashcut? I don't have time to learn linux so those options are out. I need a good thc and the ability to cut on a rotational axis. Ease of use and a quick setup is more important than cost and i have $10k worth of my spare time into this ess combo, so...
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Ess tmc3in thc i issues

Post by robertspark »

no CandCNC do not and have never used the TMC3in1.

they did many years ago use the ESS with mach3 but have long since dropped windows in lieu of Linux.

I too have been avoiding Linux, but I am now at the point of..... it's by far the most flexible.... and comprehensive.

I'd like to know of anyone who knows of anything it cannot do or be made to do. with windows you are always reliant upon the firmware of the motion controller.... not with Linux / Mesa hardware
Jgorm
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Jgorm »

Hmm, so it's candcncc better then flashcut?
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Jgorm wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 am Hmm, so it's candcncc better then flashcut?
I have not used either, nor do I believe I ever will as they are very expensive for me as a hobbyist in the UK.

it's a bit like the blue oval (ford) and bowtie (GM) debate... which is better.... in the end they both get you from A to B....
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

There is not much to "learn" with LINUX. The User Interface is similar to Windows . Everything in LINUX is an app, so things like File Manger are loaded intot he OS . Its basically a bare operating system that is blazing fast and allows you to configure it any way you want. Rather than make you do that there are standard distributions (DISTROS) that come standard with all kinds of utilities and applications. Its especially well suited for machine control because you can run it in "Real Time" mode where there are no buffers and memory stacks and no delay. An input is processed in real time . We use that to build in anti dive based on the real time velocity (we know exactly how fast the actual motion is and can react in microseconds. One big problem with a lot of CNC controllers is their Trajectory Planner that optimizes for Constant Velocity versus tool path tracking (accuracy) . They let the motion deviate off the toolpath to try and keep up the best speed . That provides better THC actions because feedrate changes cause voltage changes (I.e. Corner diving ) LINUXCNC has a different Trajectory Planner and you can chose to have it hold tight toolpath tracking (set with a G command on the code) . It drives the toolpath using the best speed and acceleration it can based on the mechanics and settings. it won't round off corners or cut across a sharp turn. Without VAD (Velocity Based AntiDive ) it would cause the THC to do a lot of diving. Real time makes that possible

Some history (or as Paul Harvey Used to say: "Now, for the rest of the story"). The TMC 3 in 1 control is from the same guy that sold the THC301D for MACH3. AKA Texas MicroCircuits at that point . Based roughly on the THC300 I introduced in 2003 as a simple analog THC with two knobs, 1 switch and volage readout and used the MACH built in THC logic (which I asked Art the original MACH owner, to include in his new MACH2 release) The THC300 was sold by Bob Campbell for several years . The same engineer that I worked with on my MP1000 did the design on the THC301D . Texas MicroCircuits embarked on a project to build a new design using a small microprocessor and the ESS card as the interface to the I/O. The owner went though some tough times and stopped supporting the THC301d and paying the designer . As far as i know the TMC3in1 unit has one OEM (CNC Reuter Parts ) that uses it to build plasma controllers. Probably the biggest issue is the lack of support the product has.

The general consensus is that the Windows systems are easier to use and some of them like Flashcut are an all-in-one solution with CAD/CAM and CONtrol all in one package. They have fewer features and options and tend to cost more because software programming and making it all integrated taks time and money . If you are willing to spend 100hrs trying to get a control to work then I would think learnign to use an advanced tool and several choices of CAD/Drawing, and CAM would not be as scary to you .
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

tcaudle wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:39 pm There is not much to "learn" with LINUX. The User Interface is similar to Windows . Everything in LINUX is an app, so things like File Manger are loaded intot he OS . Its basically a bare operating system that is blazing fast and allows you to configure it any way you want. Rather than make you do that there are standard distributions (DISTROS) that come standard with all kinds of utilities and applications. Its especially well suited for machine control because you can run it in "Real Time" mode where there are no buffers and memory stacks and no delay. An input is processed in real time . We use that to build in anti dive based on the real time velocity (we know exactly how fast the actual motion is and can react in microseconds. One big problem with a lot of CNC controllers is their Trajectory Planner that optimizes for Constant Velocity versus tool path tracking (accuracy) . They let the motion deviate off the toolpath to try and keep up the best speed . That provides better THC actions because feedrate changes cause voltage changes (I.e. Corner diving ) LINUXCNC has a different Trajectory Planner and you can chose to have it hold tight toolpath tracking (set with a G command on the code) . It drives the toolpath using the best speed and acceleration it can based on the mechanics and settings. it won't round off corners or cut across a sharp turn. Without VAD (Velocity Based AntiDive ) it would cause the THC to do a lot of diving. Real time makes that possible

Some history (or as Paul Harvey Used to say: "Now, for the rest of the story"). The TMC 3 in 1 control is from the same guy that sold the THC301D for MACH3. AKA Texas MicroCircuits at that point . Based roughly on the THC300 I introduced in 2003 as a simple analog THC with two knobs, 1 switch and volage readout and used the MACH built in THC logic (which I asked Art the original MACH owner, to include in his new MACH2 release) The THC300 was sold by Bob Campbell for several years . The same engineer that I worked with on my MP1000 did the design on the THC301D . Texas MicroCircuits embarked on a project to build a new design using a small microprocessor and the ESS card as the interface to the I/O. The owner went though some tough times and stopped supporting the THC301d and paying the designer . As far as i know the TMC3in1 unit has one OEM (CNC Reuter Parts ) that uses it to build plasma controllers. Probably the biggest issue is the lack of support the product has.

The general consensus is that the Windows systems are easier to use and some of them like Flashcut are an all-in-one solution with CAD/CAM and CONtrol all in one package. They have fewer features and options and tend to cost more because software programming and making it all integrated taks time and money . If you are willing to spend 100hrs trying to get a control to work then I would think learnign to use an advanced tool and several choices of CAD/Drawing, and CAM would not be as scary to you .
Great read Tom, very interesting, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us :Like
Jgorm
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Jgorm »

tcaudle wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:39 pm There is not much to "learn" with LINUX.
Thanks Tom. I had a bit of sticker shock when my flash cut quote came back over $11k. I'll be calling you guys today. I appreciate the info and it looks like I'll be learning linux!
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pla ... guide.html

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pla ... asmac.html

much cheaper than anything else available

and it is linuxcnc..... so if you are willing to learn linuxcnc.... I'd suggest getting a flas drive, downloading the iso and having a look

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”