newbie to cnc plasma

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

newbie to cnc plasma

Post by mcmental »

Afternoon folks, i am currently putting together a cnc plasma table and have got the table,motors,drivers,power supply and breakout board and plasma but im now looking for the thc ive seen various items advertised but theres so many that i seem to be going round in circles.
this is just a tool im using for home use so not got a massive budget.
ive seen
myplasm
tmc3in1
proma thc
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: newbie to cnc plasma

Post by acourtjester »

Good to see more DIY types, having a THC is very handy as it helps to get better cutting experiences. Cutting thin metal or metal with a warp can cause problems which can cause wasted metal due to bad cutting operations. Choosing a THC is dependent on many things, your electronics, and software used. Does your BOB board have 5 inputs, as you need 3 for the THC at least one for home/limits and one for the Probe input. Check with member here for each type as part of your research before buying.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mcmental »

im really open to suggestions on all the parts and software, ive seen mach3 which looks ok and myplasm comes with its own software too. my BOB is here in these photos
0A9D9211-CAA9-4C5B-B5FF-EFF89395BFB0_1_105_c.jpeg
ABF824AD-AD41-4827-8510-242070F1A1EC_1_105_c.jpeg
C89B5882-F39A-458E-925B-D5031F58AE00_1_105_c.jpeg
3900C394-823A-42FD-8D07-098B8A734832_1_105_c.jpeg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok that is a standard Parallel Printer post BOB, if you have a PC with a printer port output you can use it like that. It can also be used with a motion controller electronics package, (UCCNC) that would require additional electronics and software ( about $200) but still no THC. Do you have a license for Mach 3 or 4 yet, that is about $180. So for similar cost you could buy the UCCNC electronics and software which is better, again still no THC. You have not gone into detail about your table, software or electronics to help with the questioning. You can use the DEMO versions of Mach 3 or 4 and SheetCam to run tests with short G-codes, but need to have them licensed to have a fully functional operation. Understand you do not need a THC to run your table and cut projects, it is a better operation with one. Attached is a simple drawing showing the components for a CNC Plasma table.
Table over view.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mcmental »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:37 pm Ok that is a standard Parallel Printer post BOB, if you have a PC with a printer port output you can use it like that. It can also be used with a motion controller electronics package, (UCCNC) that would require additional electronics and software ( about $200) but still no THC. Do you have a license for Mach 3 or 4 yet, that is about $180. So for similar cost you could buy the UCCNC electronics and software which is better, again still no THC. You have not gone into detail about your table, software or electronics to help with the questioning. You can use the DEMO versions of Mach 3 or 4 and SheetCam to run tests with short G-codes, but need to have them licensed to have a fully functional operation. Understand you do not need a THC to run your table and cut projects, it is a better operation with one. Attached is a simple drawing showing the components for a CNC Plasma table.
Table over view.JPG

i have a 1m X 1m table with 4 nema 23 motors,power source and Dm556 drivers, i havent got software yet so im looking for the best option to get me up and running
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I assume with a 1 m table designation you are either in Europe or Australia so based on that I would say Myplasm looks good as it seems to have a complete package of controller, THC and software so you would not need Mach or SheetCam. If you are in Europe. Now for Australia LinuxCNC would be the setup, Either due to their location and supply of components. Both are different software packages with you just starting your not changing software but learning it from the start. Now if your in Canada whoops getting these may be a little harder, there is a Us distributor for the Myplasm system. I have no experiences with either just going by their locations.
I'm sure other member will give their opinion as to what you should get, just do more research.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Have a look at Linuxcnc and its Plasmac config. There is a section for it on this forum but the manual is here.
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasm ... guide.html

An old PC and $200 in hardware is all you need.

When you see Tormach taking the same approach to Plasmac, surely it can no longer be ignored. Tormach use a custom board that folds two $69 cards into one and their own custom FGPA card which has replaced Mesa hardware they used to use - which is what Plasmac prefers). Really external THC's are yesterday's technology. Just let Linuxcnc do it and get super tight integration with the motion controller.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Ooops, I missed the breakout board. You can use a $69 THCAD board and your BOB to control our machine. Performance will be somewhat limited but it does work.
mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mcmental »

Rodw wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:45 am Ooops, I missed the breakout board. You can use a $69 THCAD board and your BOB to control our machine. Performance will be somewhat limited but it does work.
i have a windows pc in the garage that i plan on using, i dont know anything about linux, is that requiring another computer??
mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mcmental »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:10 pm I assume with a 1 m table designation you are either in Europe or Australia so based on that I would say Myplasm looks good as it seems to have a complete package of controller, THC and software so you would not need Mach or SheetCam. If you are in Europe. Now for Australia LinuxCNC would be the setup, Either due to their location and supply of components. Both are different software packages with you just starting your not changing software but learning it from the start. Now if your in Canada whoops getting these may be a little harder, there is a Us distributor for the Myplasm system. I have no experiences with either just going by their locations.
I'm sure other member will give their opinion as to what you should get, just do more research.
hi there, im in the UK
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

mcmental wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:03 am
Rodw wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:45 am Ooops, I missed the breakout board. You can use a $69 THCAD board and your BOB to control our machine. Performance will be somewhat limited but it does work.
i have a windows pc in the garage that i plan on using, i dont know anything about linux, is that requiring another computer??
Possibly, it depends on system latency. A lot of guys use old Dell or HP corporate PCs. Linuxcnc is installed as an ISO containing Linux and Linuxcnc all rolled into one.

A computer is just a tool. I use Windows, Linux and my Chromebook every day and I don't really find any difference. There is a very experienced guy on the LinuxCNC forum called Clive based in the UK who would be more than willing to help if you ask questions on that forum. He even found the time to visit me in Australia pre covid. :)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I bought a lease returned Dell small form factor with win 10 on a small SSD, I pulled out the SSD and bought another to put Linux on in that PC.
If I want to switch back I can just change out the SSD. I am very close to building another table and that is what I will be using on it With the Linux already installed.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”