Kemo Water Switch RIP?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Kemo Water Switch RIP?

Post by xnaron »

I have an issue with my Kemo water switch. Today it false triggered and I could here the relay on it buzzing. If I disconnect the wire from the ohmic probe on the end of the machine torch it stops buzzing. Oh easy you say. You have a short between the nozzle and the shield. Nope it isn't shorted and I tried a completely different shield and consumable set. I was able to get it to reset itself by disconnecting the power. I ran another job and it seemed to work ok probing for the job. When it was finished I heard the relay on the water switch buzzing again. I was not able to get it to stop buzzing by turning it on and off this time. This water switch is only a month old and has seen light use. Has anyone had theirs fail before?
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Kemo Water Switch RIP?

Post by xnaron »

It turns out it was water splashing into the shield after a cut job. the air wasn't able to clear it out before it shut off. Now that I know what's going on I should be able to mitigate against it happening again.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have seen the water in the shield before. I have added a indicator for the probe to my Mach program screen. If I see it on when it should not be I dry out the torch tip, no more trouble. I think you can modify the screenset for the unit you have too.
probe.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 pm I have seen the water in the shield before. I have added a indicator for the probe to my Mach program screen. If I see it on when it should not be I dry out the torch tip, no more trouble. I think you can modify the screenset for the unit you have too.
probe.JPG
Awesome idea acourtjester! Wow can't believe I never thought of that :-?
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by xnaron »

I am running UCCNC and using the macro that @robertspark wrote. It checks to see if the ohmic is triggered and if it is it defaults to the floating. It uses a relay to switch the ohmic input on and off.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

I could change if for you to give you a fast pulse of M3 which may clear the water for you
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

plus add an on screen led / show you how to do it
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by xnaron »

robertspark wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:46 am I could change if for you to give you a fast pulse of M3 which may clear the water for you
The way I have it working now is that the air from the torch stays on right until I finish the probe macro and turns off just before it turns the torch on again. It just worked out that way for timing and it wasn't planned. I wouldn't want to pulse before every probe but rather just once at the start of the job to clear out any potential moisture. The nest way to do that would probably be to add the pulse in sheetcam right?
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by xnaron »

robertspark wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:47 am plus add an on screen led / show you how to do it
This would just be an led that represents whether the probe is triggered or not right? I do have the kemo water switch within line of sight so I can see the led on it but it wouldn't be bad to have it on the uccnc main screen.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Mine is just the output signal parallel with the signal on the diagnostic page (copy of that signal). visual display only.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

xnaron wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:16 pm The nest way to do that would probably be to add the pulse in sheetcam right?
I would do it in the macro when the input tested as part of the touchoff sequence..... blast of air to clear the nozzle etc

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”