Verdict on Herocut 55i Plasma Machine

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
rehoward
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Verdict on Herocut 55i Plasma Machine

Post by rehoward »

I have been considering the Herocut 55i for use on a plasma table I intend to build. It is a blowback torch machine and specifically designed for CNC use. You can see it here:

Anyone have experience or opinions of this machine? Thanks

Randy
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Verdict on Herocut 55i Plasma Machine

Post by adbuch »

Hi Randy,
In your previous post, I was not necessarily recommending the HeroCut55, it is just the first one I found to show as an example for a low cost cnc compatible plasma cutter. There is one "review" on the Langmuir forum (shown below) where the OP is using it with his cnc table and seems to be pleased with how it works.
The Best Plasma Cutters for CNC article (also shown below) does list 4 other low cost plasma cutters that are cnc compatible and may be worth looking at as well.

You can see the Amazon page with the HeroCut55 here:
David
https://www.amazon.com/Friendly-Non-HF- ... B076FDQC2P
HeroCut55i.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by adbuch on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/t/her ... ction/3859
Hero Cut55 CNC Connection Lagmuir Forum.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is another review, this one from the Amazon listing. This customer seems to be pleased with his results.
David

"5.0 out of 5 stars Great plasma for a homebuilt cnc plasma machine!
Reviewed in the United States on January 28, 2020
Verified Purchase
I have used this plasma cutter on my homemade cnc plasma machine for the last month and am happy with the ease of connections to my electronics and also the cut quality seems to be nice. I am new to the hobby so am far from an expert and so far have only cut 20 and 16 guage cold rolled but with the correct settings in Mach3 this plasma cuts well. The only downside is lack of complete english instructions or a cutting chart in the manual though it will suffice and get you by and also it seems to use consumables fairly quickly but that again might be my settings but I would definately buy this plasma again! "
rehoward
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by rehoward »

Thanks adbuch. I am thinking of buying the HeroCut but customer support seems to be non-existant. That worries me. It does have a 1 year warranty (I think). It is difficult to get any information on this machine or who the manufacturer is.

Randy
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

At least in the fineprint plasma advisor disclose they are an adverting site affiliated with Amazon and take commissions on sales. When I read it, it looked like a blog site done for SEO purposes for an ecommerce store..

There is nothing on that site that can be trusted with that background.

But lack of warranty is pretty standard for a Chinese company.... How do you return it for repair?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Amazon offers free returns within 30 days of purchase (they pay the return shipping). So I wouldn't worry about it. Of course it's made in China, but I would imagine replacement parts are available. Ask Amazon about replacement parts. I would just order it and try it out for a few weeks or so. If you are unhappy, then return it. There were several legitimate "reviews" by buyers who used it for cnc, and were pleased with the machine. See my replies above. Of course it's not a Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics, but then again it doesn't cost upwards of $2000 either.
David
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:44 am Amazon offers free returns within 30 days of purchase (they pay the return shipping). So I wouldn't worry about it. Of course it's made in China, but I would imagine replacement parts are available. Ask Amazon about replacement parts. I would just order it and try it out for a few weeks or so. If you are unhappy, then return it. There were several legitimate "reviews" by buyers who used it for cnc, and were pleased with the machine. See my replies above. Of course it's not a Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics, but then again it doesn't cost upwards of $2000 either.
David
David, don't get me wrong, I also flagged the Herocut in the LinuxCNC Plasma Primer I wrote http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasm ... operations

The Amazon review has no weight either becasue people pay for reviews on that platform to launch a product. If there were 20 reviews then maybe. So the Lagumire forum is probably the only possible credible review.

I have owned 3 plasma cutters gradually upgrading to a name brand with cutcharts and all the trimmings. I personally don't think plasma cutting is a poor mans sport. I think Everlast and maybe the newer Unimig Razorcut might be the preferred entry level machines. The plethora of cheap machines is deceptive and I have seen many people come to grief trying to get a working system. That might be great for hobby use but perhaps plasma is not a hobby metal working process. BUt having said that, I would only recommend the Everlast with a number of caveats that I have painfully discovered the workarounds for.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Oh and I forgot. I was reading a post tonight about someone with Unimig and a machine torch where the torch was firing by itself when the machine is turned on. Modifications are required to fix this behaviour and I had similar problems with the Everlast but had the problem solving abilities to resolve it. Not every body is good at solving issues they encounter like this..
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rod,
Perhaps you can make some specific recommendations for Randy - makes, model numbers, pricing, reviews, etc. I have no personal experience with any of the budget plasma cutters. I use the Hypertherm 45xp and Hypertherm Powermax 85 for my cnc tables and rotary cnc, and I also have a Thermal Dynamics HF unit that I purchased over 30 years ago and have used extensively for hand work.
David
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I can't really help there. I sold my Everlast and bought a Thermal Dynamics A120.
For the money, I'd be prepared to give the Herocut a go. I would use a pull down or pullup resistor to ensure the ArcOK signal draws at least 100 mA to avoid contact oxidisation on the internal relay. Also, I'd expect the raw arc voltage to include 100k resistors between the contact and the electrodes to avoid lethal voltages. This may affect the voltage being reported by whatever circuit that senses arc voltage.

Finally I would say I would hate to have to build cut charts from my machine from 2mm to 20mm which is one of the big things you get with the better machines
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rodw wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 am The Amazon review has no weight either becasue people pay for reviews on that platform to launch a product.
I would be very surprised if the review I cited on Amazon is "fake". There's no way to really know for sure, but I have read many reviews on products I have purchase on Amazon and I find most to be accurate. I ordered over 150 items on Amazon in 2019, and placed 56 orders with Amazon so far this year - many of these for tools, electronics, etc. And I really love that Amazon Prime free shipping and free no-hassle returns.
David
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:27 am
Rodw wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 am The Amazon review has no weight either becasue people pay for reviews on that platform to launch a product.
I would be very surprised if the review I cited on Amazon is "fake". There's no way to really know for sure
David
Sorry I might have sounded cynical but I run an ecommerce store for a living. I have sold on Amazon US from Australia but my products don't fit US vehicles. I know what goes on from other ecommerce owners and attending conferences. Amazon is still not all pervasive in our market as it is in the US and Europe. I have bought a few things from them.
toolboy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by toolboy »

I have a Herocut 55 sitting on a shelf.
yes it was a great little lightweight cutter....and it did cut well.......but ....notice the past tense I have used........"WAS...DID"
it now sits on a shelf to remind me...you get what you pay for more times than not.

it just stopped working about 1 year into using it.
try to get response on any warranty....hahahah...no one answers emails from the company.

plug it in and turn it on...no humm no fan.....lights up...no errors.
pull trigger and a you hear a click but no air or arc.
I have checked the torch handle from end right into the machine....all good.
I have checked and changed consumables
I have checked for any possible fuses....
I have checked the power from the plug right into the unit....

everything checks out.

it just won't work.

so if anyone has any ideas I am open to it.

I just bought the Everlast 62i
it is one heavy beast...but it is great.

I had a Everlast before...and sold it as it had high frequency start....not good for CNC tables
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Did it come with a manual containing electrical schematic wiring diagrams or block diagrams?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I asked the Amazon seller about this. Apparently there is no manual containing electrical schematics and wiring diagrams available.
David
HeroCut question.jpg

wes709
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wes709 »

This thing is junk , i am ordering a 62i , i am currently battling with amazon and seller and doesnt look like i will see a dime from this , been to 3 repair shops that dont want anything to do with it , im pretty sure its a bad relay , the trigger still activates air but no fire ,similar to someone aboves issues , i dont think this plasma was designed to turn on and off as much as needed on a cnc plasma table , on the inside it is very crammed and hard to work on , took me hours to take apart and try to diagnose , cant get your hands on the relay for weeks because they all chinese , crazy !!! purchased in april 2019 , and really only got my plasma table running a few months ago , so its had a pretty easy life
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

wes709 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:44 pm This thing is junk , i am ordering a 62i , i am currently battling with amazon and seller and doesnt look like i will see a dime from this , been to 3 repair shops that dont want anything to do with it , im pretty sure its a bad relay , the trigger still activates air but no fire ,similar to someone aboves issues , i dont think this plasma was designed to turn on and off as much as needed on a cnc plasma table , on the inside it is very crammed and hard to work on , took me hours to take apart and try to diagnose , cant get your hands on the relay for weeks because they all chinese , crazy !!! purchased in april 2019 , and really only got my plasma table running a few months ago , so its had a pretty easy life
What machines are you considering as a replacement? You can't to wrong with the Hypertherm 45xp, but I think it all depends on what your time is worth (to you). The current price looks like around $2200, up from the $1900 I paid for mine a few years ago. If you are planning on doing paying jobs with your table, then it shouldn't take too long to make up the cost difference between the 45xp and some of the less expensive Chinese machines. Plus you would have the benefit of cut charts, great customer service, reliability, and accurate documentation. The same could be said for Thermal Dynamics and some of the others.
David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”