Crash - bang - OH CRAP! - Gantry Issue

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Crash - bang - OH CRAP! - Gantry Issue

Post by plain ol Bill »

Not paying attention today and had zeroed the gantry in a ways down the table to move an item over where I wanted it. Got it cut right on the money. Moved that sheet off and put a new one on the table and started the Gcode - next thing I knew the gantry had run past the home switches, banged into the stops welded on the end of the gantry tracks (thank goodness they were there or the gantry would have ended up on the other end of the shop). Drives making the hard lost steps ginding sounds on the racks - finally found the big red button and hit it!!

I took about an hour to rezero everything back in and check it all out again. Note to self: Engage brain before engaging the RUN button dummy! :o

All is well again.

Another note: my table is built to handle 5x10 sheets. I generally use 4x8 but did get some 5x10 20ga. galvanized sheets for a project I'm making. Hmmmmm - the torch won't reach the edge of the plate. I woulda swore it did the last time I cut a 5x10 sheet - what the heck is going on anyway???? I was making straight cuts across the sheets so I just cut what I could and zip wheeled the rest of the cut. After I was done with that it dawned on me that I had moved the torch over a couple of inches to make room for the scribe/engraver when I mounted it. So next time I cut a big sheet I need to move the torch back where it was. Nothing wrong here - just one of those dumber than a box of rocks days.

Keep on cuttin guys ------------
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Crash - bang - OH CRAP!

Post by WSS »

Finding the "E" stop is like finding the pull pin on a fire extinguisher or hand grenade :o . Practice, practice.

Did it seem like slow motion?

The rest of my day usually follows the same path when stuff like that happens.
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

I would pay to see the deer in the headlights look on your face......man that had to suck.......hope everythings ok
Sorry for your bad day bill.........you can always start fresh on the new year
Brian
runninwild400
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by runninwild400 »

Must be the month, I did almost the same thing a couple weeks ago. My table will only cut 48 1/2" wide, had a sheet of steel that was 49 1/2" wide, problem was that I didn't know it was 49 1/2" wide until after I heard the wierd noises. No damage done to the machine, just another well that was stupid moments lol
Brian
Metal-Magic
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

On my FastCut Table you can not run the Gantry off, It starts to slow down just before the limit switches. Do you home your X and Y axis before you start cutting , or should I say when you first start your table up...
schooner 86
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by schooner 86 »

It must be the excess holiday spirits has had the same problem last night left a second piece on the table that the gantry hit. practice finding the stop button is a good idea. :idea:
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Hopefully fire up my table this weekend, just finished most of the water table and have to add slats, going to the shop shortly :D

I'm sure I will have many days like this Bill :shock:
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”