Table loosing track of position while cutting

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
justin_ploense
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Table loosing track of position while cutting

Post by justin_ploense »

So like the title says, my plasma table is loosing track of its position while running an operation. I starts off fine and then out of no where it will randomly loose its positions and start making inaccurate cuts. It’s built by a company called mfm industrial. I bought it second hand but David from mfm has been real helpful with questions I have had in the past. I haven’t had a chance to ask him about this. What could this be? Here’s a picture of what I mean.
C9EDC1A1-1DCB-4952-B20F-33690B6BD3F1.jpeg
you can see their ear it was beginning to cut ran through the hole that it was supposed to contour around like the opposing side.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Table loosing track of position while cutting

Post by robertspark »

is something loose?

what type of drive mechanism is it?

is there dirt and debris in the rack that needs cleaning out,?

what operating system does the software operate on, has there been anything upgraded or changed recently?

looks like it runs mach3 on windows from the website
https://mfmindustrial.com/

is it loosing steps or gaining steps (could it be electrical noise?, a faulty drive or motor nearing the end of its life.... try swap the drives around and see it the problem moves by axis...

what is the drive mechanism... does it have two motors on the Y axis? are they both affected

need to give a bit more info really as you can see from the above it may be one of many things.... what have you tried and checked.
justin_ploense
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by justin_ploense »

It’s operates on windows xp and Mach 3. I haven’t tried anything because I didn’t know where to start. Everything seems to be tight. I wipe of the x axis linear rails before use. I replace all the bearings when I got the machine. To be certain it operates as smooth as possible. It has 2 motors on the y axis. It seems to be gaining steps on the x axis. I have a new motor, should I replace it?
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

gaining steps implies electrical noise..... Check your connections to the X axis drive, check your 0v connection especially the step axis, if you need to undo and rescrew it back in then that may confirm you have a good connection.

check (unlikely) but the micro steps settings on the drives are the same

if you cut a circle is it oval?

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”