Stepper Motor Issues

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Stepper Motor Issues

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I put new steppers on my table a couple months ago to achieve higher acceleration values. They've worked great up until about 3 days ago. I took the motors off and ran them off of the table and one of them will at random times just bind up and squeal. Once it locks up it won't move until I let off and try to move again. Any ideas what's going on here?
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Stepper Motor Issues

Post by BTA Plasma »

Larger motor means more power required. You need more power from your drive. The longer the stack the smaller the upper RPM the higher the power at lower RPM.
marcnaz
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Stepper Motor Issues

Post by marcnaz »

With steppers, larger doesn't mean higher RPMs. Try more power as TrinityFabworks mentioned, but also the motor "tuning" in your software (acceleration etc) may be different if you haven't checked/changed the motor settings. If everything worked fine with these motors and then didn't after removal and reinstall, triple check all of your wiring for a bad connection, short or bad wire. Also check the mechanical side of things to ensure that the motor coupling or rack and pinion isn't binding after reinstall. It's possible that you have a bad stepper, but when things happen after a change in hardware or software settings, the most likely problem is something you changed or wiring... so they would be my first areas to troubleshoot.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”