Cutting Titanium

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
FENT1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting Titanium

Post by FENT1 »

Has anyone tried cutting titanium ? I have had an inquiry for a production run cutting 3/8 thick, however any research I have done leans toward
water jet or laser. Any input greatly appreciated.
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Cutting Titanium

Post by cuttinparts »

I have tried it in the past on much thinner material with poor results. I would steer clear of that job for sure.
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Man...welded metric butt tons of the stuff back in the AF days. Civilian world not so much and never had the opportunity to cut it, everything that came in was either a part requiring repair within technical order requirements or thin stuff (.060 or 1.5mm) that had been sheared for practice. My only advice here would be if possible get a piece and experiment, however unlikely that may be. Honestly though my heart tells me waterjet would be the best route.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Run!!! I have heard it can be cut with F5 or H-whatever gases.....buuuut. 3/8 Ti is not cheap as you know and one error can end up costing you more than the job may pay. It would break my Man Card to walk away but, I would have to on this one.
FENT1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by FENT1 »

thanks for the reply, the results were as expected, the customer was having it water jet cut, but the shop tripled the price, Must be a good market

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”