New to cnc plasma cutting from southern Colorado

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Tristan.winfrey
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New to cnc plasma cutting from southern Colorado

Post by Tristan.winfrey »

Hi all! I’m super new to this cnc plasma cutting! I just ordered a starter set up from Langmuir systems. I’m anxiously awaiting it’s arrival. In the mean time any tips such as different finishes for projects would be super appreciated! I’m also considering going as a contributing member so I can take advantage of the shared designs. How easy is it to resize these? My table only will cut at 2’x2’
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: New to cnc plasma cutting from southern Colorado

Post by Billythegoat »

It is $20 well spent to become a member. I will warn you that this forum is very addictive.

Most files that you can get as a member are dxf so you can open them in cad software and resize easily. I personally try to get drawings pulled up in Inkscape where it is super easy to resize and make changes.

When I bought my table a year ago I was thinking about the langmuir and glad I didn't get it. I ended up with 4x4 table and wish now I would have gotten a 4x8 and been done with it. It'll be good to get your feet wet though and not to big of an up-front investment if it doesn't work out.

If you haven't got a plasma yet I would highly recommend Hypertherm 45xp. They are an awesome entry level cutter for around $2000. There customer service is also top notch. I got the model from Bakersgas.com with 15 degree gouging torch and 75 degree hand torch combo for $2100 I think. 15 degree torch is on my table full time.

Good luck and have fun! Eric
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

Tristan.winfrey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:24 pm Hi all! I’m super new to this cnc plasma cutting! I just ordered a starter set up from Langmuir systems. I’m anxiously awaiting it’s arrival. In the mean time any tips such as different finishes for projects would be super appreciated! I’m also considering going as a contributing member so I can take advantage of the shared designs. How easy is it to resize these? My table only will cut at 2’x2’
For some ideas on finishes on yyoue projects I would suggest going to the project picture forum -- https://plasmaspider.com/viewforum.php?f=12 -- and check out what some of the other members have done to make projects more appealing. This is one that caught my eye -- https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php? ... ten#p40087 --- although there are many others. :D

Larry
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Simple way to find projects posted here is to use the search function in the upper right corner, just type the name of what you are looking for.
Many people post their finished projects in the Picture Gallery lower on the main page, plenty of inspiration to tickle you mind for your own projects.
Welcome aboard :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Welcome to the site!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy
Tristan.winfrey
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Tristan.winfrey »

Thanks for the welcome and the helpful tips I went ahead and joined. I’m anxious to get it in setup and start cutting! I also went ahead and invested in a harbor freight powder coating gun and ordered a bunch of powders tonight so I’ll try those out for a finish. I’m quite sure this is going to be a table that I use to learn and will be upgrading eventually! This one took some negotiating with the wife for me to get it! Look forward to learning and sharing with you all. Thanks again!
ColtDurr
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ColtDurr »

Interested in your thoughts on your table!
4'x4' Delusional Designs FREEDOM
Hypertherm 45XP
60 Gallon Cambell , Poor boy copper dryer , 5 stage MAX DRY desiccant, MICRO Guard TP

Return to “Introduce Yourself”