not cutting holes

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Randymoore88
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

not cutting holes

Post by Randymoore88 »

yes i have a trucut cnc plasma table with a hypertherm powermax 85 and its been working great up until a few days ago and when im cutting anything with more than one hole it will sometimes pierce and cut. then their are times it will just pierce then go to the next hole without fully cutting the the entire circle. with no faults it just keeps running the program any ideas on what i could be doing wrong?
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: not cutting holes

Post by Larry83301 »

I would start by looking at the G-code to see what the machine was told to do right after the pierce. That way you would know if it's the program or your machine. If there is a G2 or G3 right after every pierce then the problem is in the machine, if not then it's in one of your settings in your program or something in the CAD file. :D

Larry
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

This may not be the case but check the INC button in General Config, this has caused funny things to happen.
INC.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Jtucker7000
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Jtucker7000 »

I had the same problem you described! The drawing would be correct and if I ran a simulation in sheetcam it would show each circle cutting correctly. I sent my drawing and gcode to others and they found no issues. But if I had more than one circle in a drawing it would always correctly cut the first circle but randomly only complete the piearce and lead in and move to the next object. I know the the frustration!! I mainly noticed this when cutting filler flanges which are all circles. It will cut maybe 60% of the circles with no rhyme or reason to which ones it would complete. Unfortunately I never found the cause but if it helps as a temporary work around I just converted all circles in the drawing to polylines. Not really a solution but it got me by. I thought the issue was related to the screen set I was using in Mach4 that was provided with the ethermach controller. If I used a different profile it worked fine. When I switched to the hicon controller and neuron screenset the problem disappeared. I do think it might be related to IJ mode as suggested, but I believe my settings are set for absolute now instead of incremental. All I know is the problem is gone, and it’s nice to know I’m not the only one that has had this issue. If you find the ultimate cause I’d like to know for future reference. Good luck
PlasmaCam 98z retrofit to Mach4 & Proma THC
Hypertherm Powermax45
Mach 4, CamBam, Inkscape

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”