Shop Furnace

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Jspece
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Shop Furnace

Post by Jspece »

I use a modine LP furnace to heat my shop. My shop is very small 20x26 with a 7 foot cieling. Loooking at purchasing my first plasma table. Will I be risking dust explosion having my table in close quarters with my furnace? Table has a water pan and I plan to install an exhaust fan near the table. What do you guys heat your shop with?
lockeyone
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Shop Furnace

Post by lockeyone »

I have a Hotdawg 60,000btu in my 1000 sqft x 10ft ceiling garage. I chose this one as the air for combustion comes from outside. Reason being if I spill gas in garage, I don't risk explosion like a house furnace would. I just cringe at guys who take an old home furnace and stick in the garage. Plenty get by with it. But then again if I spill gas and happened to use the vacuum cleaner on something or turn on a light switch I guess and can be a source of ignition.

ps, when I had my 26ft boat on the Bay of Green Bay (lake Michigan), the guy next to me while I was out fishing told me that he had cleaned out some cob webs from his vent to the gas tank. He was using a regular shop vac suck them out. I chewed him out as that motor is totally exposed and the fumes could have blown up the place. Glad I was out fishing, but wondered if I should move slips.
Table 4'x4', BladeRunner EtherCut 620 LINUX w/CommandCNC
Hypertherm 65 CPC/RS485 Machine torch 2016
BobCad router 50"x50" MACH3 2kw spindle 2003
Shoptask Eldorado cnc MACH3, 1999
Epilog Mini 24 60watt, 2013
Vectric Aspire CoralDraw x6 SheetCam
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

My shop is 30x60 I use an electric furnace and only have to run one heat strip to keep it comfy. Don't have to worry about fumes and really isn't as expensive to run as most folks think, about $100 a month during really cold weather.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

If you have access to waste oil as we do in the construction business it's a slam dunk for cheap heat in a large shop. I use a couple of Lanair heaters, one in each shop..

One downside to waste oil heaters is you need to have a good oil tech guy on hand to keep them running smooth. Waste oil heaters are kind of like a plasma table, if things aren't just perfect it can ruin a good day.. :lol:
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”