Roller Bearings on Standard Tube Steel or Flat Stock?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
ForceDesigns
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Roller Bearings on Standard Tube Steel or Flat Stock?

Post by ForceDesigns »

Honestly, I am just curious how well this works. Would save a fortune and I have a few people that want some help building tables. Have seen this on the wright CNC machines and thought that if it works well we might try that. Seems like it might make the table a bit longer though. The next table will have a bit of over travel to completely leave the table for material loading. My current 49" X by 53" Y table uses hiwin rails and I love it. But those get incredibly pricey when you get past 1500mm. Also saw the CRP flat stock roller system.

What are the opinions on this forum? Why types of guide systems are you guys using and do you like them or would you change them?
Home Built 4x4 CNC Plasma Table
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
MiniTHC
Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
Software: Mach3 and Sheetcam, Solidworks 2019 for serious design work and Inkscape for signs
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Roller Bearings on Standard Tube Steel or Flat Stock?

Post by robertspark »

Bearings on shs (square hollow section) 50x50x3mm /2"X2"x1/8" mild steel . Cheap, extendable fine for my plasma needs.

Have thought about swapping the X axis gantry for aluminium SHS of the same size to save weight by 1/3rd

Carriages are restrained by 6 bearings (3 in each plane, with one being adjustable)

Z axis using openbuild v-slot rail... Very fast and very light.

Wear and tear not a problem as all parts are cost effective to replace.... Hiwin are nice ...but I'd not be happy with replacement as plasma is very abrasive environment where all airborne swaf is hardened from pierce to cut shards and will act like a really good rubbing compound IMO / YMMV
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Roller Bearings on Standard Tube Steel or Flat Stock?

Post by acourtjester »

This is what I use on the table I built and have supplied the bearing studs and steel plates to many other that have built table like mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leWjHZe_rcc
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”