trying 45a fine cut not piercing metal

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Gofast33
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

trying 45a fine cut not piercing metal

Post by Gofast33 »

trying to use 45a fine cut. have a hypertherm 65.
setting are as follows height .15 delay .2 cut height .06 cut feed 225
16 ga material is not cutting all the way through. Any suggestions
cutting at 45 amps
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: trying 45a fine cut not piercing metal

Post by Ironken »

I have had that issue with finecut on 11g. Jim Colt, If I remember correctly.....suggested to increase the cut height to .080 and increase the THC voltage by 5 volts. That solved the issue. I have never had that issue with 16g though.

Do a search on here or the Googler, this subject seems to come up a lot.
JohnnyC
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JohnnyC »

I always cut 14 ga at.060 with fine-cut. Piercing and cutting are 2 different things.
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi
I exclusively use Finecuts for 14ga HR. They are very sensitive to correct cut height and speed. I cut 14ga HR at 45A, .150 pierce height, .070 cut height, 220ipm cut speed. I have zero pierce delay but that is because my TD power supply's Ok to Move signal is so slow to come on. I bet with a HT you will need to start at .3s and reduce until the divot is gone.

Physically check that you IHS is correct using a known good measuring device (not a tape or ruler), if it isn't all bets are off. Do straight line test cuts to get the correct voltage setting for your equipment.

John
MisterV
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MisterV »

Is this intermittent or a constant problem through the whole part? Make sure your air is clean and dry as any small amount of moisture will cause this symptom especially with Fine Cut. Set the cut height to .075 and increase the voltage as described above. Make sure the ground is on a clean slat or directly on the material. The main reason you will have incomplete cut through is because something is interrupting the plasma flow or you are gong way too fast but for 16 Ga. 225 seems reasonable. I would try slowing it down a bit too.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”