Problem cutting sawmill blade

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Jotack
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Problem cutting sawmill blade

Post by Jotack »

Hi everyone, I've been reading your forum for a good while now and has been very helpful. I use a plasmacam 4x4 dhc2 with the advanced options. I really love the machine, but today it was fighting me with a problem I haven't had for a while. I'm trying to cut a scene into a sawmill blade for a customer and the torch keeps diving into the material. We fought with this for hours with no avail checked everything we could think of, connections, settings, cleaned material and ground, no luck. The blade is 3/16 thick. Not sure exactly what the steel make up is but hard. We then laid a piece of mild 1/4 down beside it cut like a champ. What the heck?? Any ideas, could the material be the problem? Thanks for any insite.
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Problem cutting sawmill blade

Post by DXF »

Saw blades have been heat treated and will also have hard spots in them from over use. You would be better off cutting your own saw blade from many posted on this forum. I have an extra one leaning against the wall after trying to cut one a couple of years ago.....they don't cut very well.

Dave Hanks
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

We cut knive blanks for a local knife maker from sawmill circular saw blades of various sizes and also from big band saw blades with our Samson table without any problem.

Allen
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I cut a scene in one the other day for a customer...24" round with no problems. It was my first round one.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I cut a design from an old circular saw blade last winter. I was nervous as hell as it meant something to the customer, but I warned him things could go wrong. To my disbelief it cut very nicely. Did not do anything special except I chose a tool for thicker metal than the blade was. It cut slower but cut through cleanly.
Do you have your work clamp on the blade? make sure it is making good contact, perhaps grind a clean spot? If it is diving it must not be getting a good voltage reading.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

turn off the dthc
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”