New guy, no CNC experience

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
nomoreusmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: New guy, no CNC experience

Post by nomoreusmc »

So I really messed myself up. 3 gallon s of boiling turkey broth got dumped on me, kinda put a halt to my progress. I am still thinking about the build. Probably not going to be able to start on the engineering until the pain pills are gone. I am going to build a 4x8, no reason to shuffle things around, the cost of the steel is worth it.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Ouch!

Use the down time to figure out the drawing software and draw up a set of prints. (kill two birds with one stone)

If shop space is an issue do a fold up design, there is several shown on Y/T
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Just caught this thread. Reading through I got to the point of excitement when you mentioned good ol' courtjester and your advancement in knowledge, ready to dive in and pull the trigger. That man (one of many here, not excluding the talented ladies) is full of knowledge, sheer volumes of information free to any and all. So sorry to hear about your accident. I'm familiar with a good burn but not to the severity of 3 gallons of boiling turkey broth. Hope the pain eases soon. I've heard jarheads are tough, if anybody can heal up and continue the build you can. :D
When I got my table years ago I remember being in your position. Wanted a 4x8 for full sheets, got a 5x10 because I knew I would run into issues with size limitations.....and wish to this day that I would have got a 6x12 :roll: Just do all you can and be confident in the decision, the rest will come. Great advice from SegoMan. Use this "opportunity" to brush up on software etc. Drawings are my thing, well, mostly art. Wish I could help with your cad but Torchmate is unfortunately all I know.
Feel better soon!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Make sure your gantry can move past the extents of a sheet by a few inches. If you ever add accessories other than your plasma torch, i.e. a scribe, you'll need the extra distance to account for the tool offset.
My Bulltear table suffers from this limitation. I have my scribe mounted as close to my torch as I can, but I can't scribe the 4' width and then cut the 4' width without sliding the material. It's a little unhandy. Guess I should have gone 5x10, but then I would just buy bigger sheets and have the same problem. Guess a 6x12 is the only way around that.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
nomoreusmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nomoreusmc »

Unfortunately this is my 3rd bad burn. One of the nurse's at the burn unit remembered me from my last visit 9 years ago. Mom tripped at the top of the stairs, I was at the bottom. Happy turkey day! I am pretty happy to say the burn missed slim Jim and the twins by a half inch.

6x12 seems really bid, why not a 6x10?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I'm not really sure since sheet is usually 4x8 or 5x10.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

6x12 as well as 8x20 sheets are out there also.

I no sooner got the 2x2 finished & working when I said to myself for a little more labor it could have been a 4x8. I'm in the same boat with the 6'2" x 12'2" build, If the shop was bigger it would have been a 10x20. The bigger the table the bigger the jobs you can handle, it also gives you room to leave pieces of different thickness's of metal on the table. Save time loading unloading.
nomoreusmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nomoreusmc »

A 5x10 sheet? That's a new one on me. How much extra do those weigh? :lol: well 6x12 it is. I don't really plan to use a scribe, maybe a router every now and again, but mostly a plaz. I would love a laser but I am not rich.
PWCNC70
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by PWCNC70 »

I have the crossfire table and the RAZORCUT 45 cutter.
its a 24" X 24" table..
FUSION WAS alittle learning curve but its 2D profile cuts only on a plasma machine table so Its not hard to pick up.
I use VETRIC software and in the past Carbide motion and carbide create when I got started 2 years ago.
im perfectly happy with the 2 ft by 2 ft table...… I have space constraints in my shop so I needed a table that was mobile.
I create items here and there to sell and both my CNC machines have paid for themselves already..
also it allows me to create some awesome gift items during the holidays and items I need at home and for my work shop/Hangar.
also ive been able to open a small Etsy store and mostly its word of mouth business when I get a customer project.
it all comes down to your mission for the machine..
I have a small at home metal and wood shop and a 2ft X 2ft fits my production needs.

if your going to be paying all your bills and plan on supporting a family with this table then I agree with the other posts. go big boy table right off the bat. if Funds allow it..
adown
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by adown »

I went with Plasmacam and DesignEdge is good software, but Vectric Cut2D Pro is what ArcStar Plasma uses and it's pretty simple to use. Software is the most important part of the learning curve of a CNC plasma table and how many do you have to learn? ArcStar has an add at the top of the page and a ton of good documents on purchasing a plasma table in their library. Their controller requires no software to learn. Simply draw with Cut2D Pro, import and cut. Nesting and resizing can all be done at the controller. You can even save "frequently cut" drawings to the controller and not even use the computer for subsequent cuts. Oh, and I went with the 45XP and absolutely love it. I use the plasma marking all the time.
BratcherRedeemed
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BratcherRedeemed »

nomoreusmc wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:34 pm
acourtjester wrote:You are like many here that started at ground zero and are doing just fine today. I would suggest you start by getting a big picture of the operations of a CNC table. This will help you have a better understanding about how big a table you should get what are the true nature of the thing you can do with a table. This site has different categories of subjects and a great number of members with different experiences covering software, table, and the business aspects concerning this subject. It will take work on your part but you are not planning a trip to Mars. I would suggest starting with software getting an idea of what you need and learning how to use the different packages. Then look at tables, if you buy a table and cannot use it that will add to your frustration. It is a very rewarding having a table and producing products, and or fun things for your own use. Develop a plans and and move toward a completion, help is here but it is better to ask questions about a single item as you go along. Allow yourself time to absorb information as you learn. Like the saying "today is the first day of the rest of you life".
I know you are right, but if I am going to be honest I am a disabled veteran, and I just can't work like I used to. I am kinda planning the rest of my life, and I have a bad habit of over complicating things when I don't have so much on the line much less with the weight on my shoulders.

That being said I have read alot your posts and have learned from them. Thanks
Hey, I know the feeling of being a disabled vet, trying to figure out how to do something completely different with the rest of your life when you had plans before. Hit me up if you ever feel the need for encouragement. I'd love to hear your story bro. Thank you for your service and I pray you find that thing that gives you a sense of purpose and fulfillment. This self employed journey is a difficult one to navigate!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”