Cutting a Scoop Shovel

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
mstauth
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting a Scoop Shovel

Post by mstauth »

I am wanting to cut a design on a old scoop shovel. Everytime my torch hits it then slides down the shovel. I have changed feed rates, pierce delays and everything else I can think of. Has anyone tried this and been successful? Or are all the ones I've seen on the internet been done by hand? Any help would be appreciated. Mark
Granite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Cutting a Scoop Shovel

Post by Granite »

Always wanted to try this. Is the blade leveled and well braced on at least one plane? Have you rotated it 90 degrees and tried again? Cutting the face or the back? My only guess is to reduce your inch per minute rate to as slow as you can to allow the THC time to react?

Hope someone here can help you. Would like to see it finished.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Have you tried to reduce the voltage spread, the lower the spread the faster the THC will react
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
mstauth
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mstauth »

I'm cutting it on the backside so when I hang it by the handle it will lay flatter. I have slowed it down as much as it will go. I do not know what the voltage spread is or means. I was thinking of laying it flat, with the front up, and clamped down. And reversing or mirroring my image so when I after I cut it, it will look right with the back showing. Still working on it, but will be sure to post pics when and if I get it figured out. Please keep the suggestions coming!!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”