From cardboard template to computer

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
tank_5150
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

From cardboard template to computer

Post by tank_5150 »

A few weeks ago I had a guy take my cardboard template and scan it with his scanner and then just instantly cut it out with his waterjet. I’m new to the plasma world and my machine is gonna show up I’m just a couple weeks and I’d love to hit the ground running. Is there a special software I would need to do what he did or can I do it on pretty much anything that’s available when the table shows up? Thank you guys very much
Scott
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: From cardboard template to computer

Post by acourtjester »

If you can scan an object and save it as a JPEG you can then open it in Inkscape and scale it to make a DXF or SVG file to cut. The attached screen shot shows where to change scale of object. Be sure you are in inch or metric for you type of drawing, "VERY IMPORTANT" if you save drawing in SVG and when you load into SheetCam you must use the 1:1 scale for the correct size when cutting.
Another big help is to make a ink pen holder to attach to your torch mount, this can be used for drawing on paper any G-code to verify any dimensions until you are sure of any operations. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tet2rRsqBts
scale.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”