Font Question

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Font Question

Post by Jfile »

I know this is probably an age old question... but I'm trying to figure out what is the best font to use so that it looks good when it's cut out of a sheet and not cut to be just text? I've read several articles and some say go ahead and use whatever font you like or whatever font the customer wants and just bridge the drop outs from the o's, a's e's, etc... Then others say find a font that keeps you from having to do the bridges.

I read an article from several years back where Jim Colt mentioned that PlasmaCam Design Edge even "automatically bridged allot of those font drop outs, however, I assume that software is used if you have a PlasmaCam table. I do not. I have a table from LDR and use InkScape and SheetCam plus of course the CNC Controller software.

I really want to cut this "Love you to the moon and back" piece for both of my grand daughters but after studying it closely, I realized it was not going to look nearly as good as the outline drawing once it was cut.

So what is the general consensus - A) Cut it as is and accept the outcome, B) Take the time to bridge the drop out letters, or C) Look for a font that might not have the drop outs? (if there is such a thing)
Moon and Back.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Font Question

Post by djreiswig »

I'd say b or c. It wouldn't be that hard to bridge the dropouts. Just draw a rectangle the minimum width you need so the remaining piece is wide enough that it doesn't burn through or is too weak to support the dropout. Then copy and paste it over the drops and trim the edges. You may want to rotate the rectangle to get the bridges in an optimum place. I don't think you would be happy cutting it as is.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I'm not sure if you've seen this file, but it cuts well.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p140328
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Why not cut the letters and stars out and attach them to the Moon as a 2 layer finished wall hanger. :D This would also allow you to use different colors for the letters and the stars (maybe with some sparkle). Or use the files posted with the same topic different form.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21744
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate getting feedback from those with experience. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be happy cutting it like it was but, again, just wanted the feedback.

I'm kind of liking the idea of the 2 layer product! Obviously cutting the stars and letter separately are not a problem but how do I attach them? Will I need to weld each piece for it to hold properly? If so, that might be a problem. I have a welder but I'm very much an amateur when it comes that sort of work. I have welded round rod stock on the back of yard art but my welds look horrendous. lol Fortunately on those pieces the welds are on the back and not that obvious.

Is there an epoxy of some sort that would hold well that you could recommend or is welding the preferred method?
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

3M automotive emblem tape works pretty good. You're probably going to want to paint the pieces and then attach them, so welding isn't really an option. Some have used magnets, but that piece has a lot of small parts.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Makes perfect sense. I checked out the 3M Emblem Tape on line and it looks like some pretty cool stuff and easy to use.

Thank you for the tips!
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have use a few different things, the 3M tape is in the paint dept of Home Depot very sticky hold great. I have used a tube of like heavy glue called Goop again in the paint dept, also the 3M tape for cell phone screens (eBay), and just thick super glue works great too. I paint both sides before mounting them to the background. Layered wall art really pops. :D
DSCN2134.JPG
jester sign (1).JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
harrymorley
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by harrymorley »

to make 2 layer signs , I use small rare earth magnets. That way the sign can be " unlayered " and cleaned without destroying the paint on the first layer. Also allows you to move top layer at any time.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”