Cold weather cutting

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
john527
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Cold weather cutting

Post by john527 »

I have my new plasmacam table/hypertherm 45XP in a unheated garage, I live in Michigan where winters can get pretty cold, Is there any risk to the machine and or computer if I run it in 30 degree temps?
Thanks
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cold weather cutting

Post by plasmanewbie »

Climate is the same around here and although I never had a failure I noticed that the equipment did not run well until the electronics warmed up and I was concerned about condensation. Before it became a problem and put some heat in the shop just to keep it a little warmer and consistant.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

I live in Wisconsin and have no heat in my shop. I don't cut much or even go outside in the winter, but I do leave my PC running 24-7-365. Every once in a while, in the winter, I'll draw something up in the house, then quickly brave the cold to go cut it. Been doing it like that for like 13 years now and never had a problem.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Euclid933
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Euclid933 »

Here in the UK I do the same, just leave the PC switched on. It cured my damp problems during winter time.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Same here in NH. My plasmacam and computer stay powered up 24-7, I do have heat in my shop when I am working there, but often will cut one part without the heat on. I have cut at 10 degrees F on a couple of occasions. Jim Colt Hypertherm
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I live in upper Michigan. I put visqueen up on the top of my shop ceiling so the heat wont escape and I have a wood stove. Keeps me plenty warm. I do go through a lot of wood though. :)
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Ive cut every winter for the past 10 or 12 years without heat without a problem. I do have a torpedo heater blowing heat on me where I sit but I shut the computer and table off when done and turn it on the next day when I start and it has always worked fine. I am in Idaho so it doesn't get too crazy cold but will still get around 0 to 10 degrees on occasion.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I'm curious about the same. I live in mid-michigan and this will be my first winter with my table. My garage is not insulated at all, and I have no heat source. I'm looking into finishing it off, but money is pretty tight right now. I was more concerned about the water in my table freezing. I don't know if it would be better to store my water in the tanks below the table or leave it sit up top in the pan. I also wasn't sure if the homebrew plasma quench would lower the freezing temperature of the water to a point where it wouldn't freeze throughout the cold winter months.
wesjohnson
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wesjohnson »

I have been wondering the same thing with my table showing up next week. I was thinking about getting a livestock trough heater if it becomes an issue.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”