Holes for hanging wall mount pieces

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Holes for hanging wall mount pieces

Post by Jfile »

Hoping this is a simple one. What do most people do for small mounting holes on pieces that are to be hung on the wall or something similar? Do you just do a pierce at the correct point? Is that a large enough hole for most applications or do you actually draw a small circle at the mount location and let the plasma cut it out?
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Holes for hanging wall mount pieces

Post by acourtjester »

Well if it has lettering I try to use places in the letters to place the nails to hold it up. If it is a wall art the does not have holes or loops I tack weld a sawtooth mount on the back :lol:
DSCN3232.JPG
DSCN3233.JPG
DSCN3234.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Thanks, acourtjester. Honestly, I had not thought of tacking on the sawtooth picture hanger. I like that idea and think that will work for most of my pieces. I had just noticed in some pictures of cut pieces, it looked like some folks were cutting small (maybe 1/8") holes at the hanging point. I assume that's too small for the plasma to cut as a circle so I just assumed they were making a quick pierce.

Again, thanks for the tip!
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
JohnnyC
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JohnnyC »

I cut 1/8" to 1/4" dia. holes for hinging wall pieces depending on size. 1/8" are not perfect circles but 1/4" are perfect.
stdave66
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by stdave66 »

When I do holes for hanging, I do a manual test fire on the plas just enough to make a mark for exact location, then dril 3/16". Most of the time I weld D swivel loops on the back.
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

I went down a different road. I make a trophy for a prospecting group. I did not like the idea of a hole and subsequently the head of a screw or nail exposed to viewers. So after a trial and error sequence I finally thought of magnets. I tried several different sizes till I found one that I felt worked well. The magnet I found are super strong N52 about .75 inch in diameter. There is a counter sink hole in the center, perfect for a #8 sheet metal screws 1.25 inches long. The size of the trophy is about 22 inches wide. I mount two magnets carefully indexed with areas that will not show the magnet to the wall. The screws head is recessed below the surface of the magnet. This make for full contact between the metal and magnet. As a extra safety precaution I cut a 1 inch square of double sided tape, a fix a square to each magnet face. Then very carefully align and level the trophy and push it to the wall. A little extra push at each contact point for good measure. Done, nearly perminant mounting. Ya only get one shot at it. I bent the crap out of my test piece trying to pull it off the wall. Why the tape, some may ask? Well the magnets have a super strong pulling hold, but I was able to get the trophy to slide a little on the vertical axis. Better to be safe. Bad word of mouth complaint travels fast and great distances. In addition, the offset of about .130 thousandths give the appearance of a relief between the wall and the trophy.

Obviously this method has limitations depending on size and weight. I am guessing most could be eliminated by using more magnets or possibly larger diameter ones. The .75 Diameter was cost effective and readily available. Oddly, I was not able to get the 1.25 inch long #8 counter sink sheet metal screws locally. Had to use an online source. Now I include 2 magnets, 2 #8 sheet metal screws and 2 of the white plastic wall anchors with my signs or wall art. The blue plastic anchors had a bit of a loose fit. The white one were nice and snug. This setup works for me.

Oh, a little off this topic but still interrelated. I think it was a while ago spiderette CareBear who was have issue with packaging multiple pieces of art work in layers separate with protective bubble wrap. I found that placing a sheet of cooking wax paper between the finished art work and the bubble wrap act like a barrier preventing the chemicals that leach out of the plastic bubble from attacting the freshly painted or finished art work.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Great information! Thanks. I like that idea although I'm not so sure I would want to go with the double sided tape. I understand your reasoning but I like the idea of being able to remove a wall piece for whatever reason. I could see permanent mounting for trophy type fixtures but for regular, decorative metal art, I would want the customer to be able to move to another location and / or replace with something different. I can't tell you how many times my wife has "re-worked" our wall decorations over the years.

Still love the magnet mount idea though. Do you mind sharing where you purchase them? I suppose I could just search for N52. Hopefully they are all the same strength and quality.
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
2015cmax

Post by 2015cmax »

I have switched to these N50 magnets and #6 screws, both Ebay items. Lots of choices.
As long as the piece being hung is not to heavy, you could use larger or one or two more magnets
and not use the double sided tape. The Neodymium magnets a really powerful and I think
the class rating is an industry standard. So I guess the only question would be the quality
of the manufacturer. I did not order a large quantity as I wanted to see what showed up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-25mm ... 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Phillips-Fla ... 2749.l2649

Here is the link for the N52 magnets
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-10-25-50pc-1 ... 2749.l2649

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”