Introducing myself and floating head confusion

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Heavychevy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Introducing myself and floating head confusion

Post by Heavychevy »

Hello everyone just want to introduce myself. I own a transmission and diesel repair shop in Colorado and dabble in machine work. I have a 5x10 diy plasma table acourtjester has supplied the plans and countless hours of help. I'd like to give him a special thanks for everything he has done to help me. He is a very patient helping and intelligent person. Also the plasma spider community has been tons of help just using the search engine. I really haven't had to post because after a little searching I usually find my answer.
I'm also feeling guilty about bugging him all the time :lol:
I am probably a few clicks away from cutting steel. Heck I could probably cut some if I wanted to but I would like to get my floating head working. Hopefully i can bug this community for help rather than acourtjester ;)
So here it goes..
I've searched and read and watched for awhile now but still cant figure out where to start. I have sheetcam but I'm not shure if I have the right post processor set up "mach 3 post generic plasma pist for machines without thc" I have sheetcam on separate PC from the cnc. Not shure if that matters or not?
I cant seem to find any other post that says anything about floating head?
Maybe I dont know how to change and or find the post.
I have figured out my switch offset but cant find where to write it into sheet cam? After that I have no idea where to go from there.
Any help would greatly be appreciated .
Heavychevy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Introducing myself and floating head confusion

Post by Heavychevy »

As I was waiting for this to post I figured out my problem.ill just throw up what I did to fix it incase someone else has the same issue.
It ended being the post processor in sheetcam
When you click "p" for post you will find a drop down menu you have to select mach3 plasma thc with air scribe post. Then in options edit post processor on sheetcam write in Input switch offset. Then in mach3 make sure "z" zeroes in negative direction. Bam!! Floating head and switch work perfectly.
It worked for me. I'm bad at describing exactly how to fix it but I hope the just of it is there!
Diy 5x10 plasma table
Everlast 80s plasma Everlast 250 tig
Lincoln 350mp mig
Bridgeport series 1 and 2
Webb 3vh vertical mill
Brown and sharpe horizontal mill
South bend 14.5 x60 metal lathe
Old 65 ton piranha iron worker
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Thanks for the update with the fix. I had a similar issue in the past and this would have certainly helped. Best of luck! Hope you get cutting soon if you haven;t already.
Heavychevy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Heavychevy »

It's up and running line tests currently!
Diy 5x10 plasma table
Everlast 80s plasma Everlast 250 tig
Lincoln 350mp mig
Bridgeport series 1 and 2
Webb 3vh vertical mill
Brown and sharpe horizontal mill
South bend 14.5 x60 metal lathe
Old 65 ton piranha iron worker

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”