Torch template guides for handcutting

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Torch template guides for handcutting

Post by sawdust1 »

I helped my nephew get a hand torch and he is always looking for things to cut. He wishes to make Christmas presents, hot dog cookers. My thought was to make him a couple tracing templates of the sort that came in cereal boxes years ago. Put the pencil in, follow the slots and you have a dog or something.
Has anyone ever tried making such a template for their hand torch?

David
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: torch template guide

Post by tcaudle »

How about a torch pantograph? (aka "tracer") Hand torch mounts in holder. Rig up a foot switch to fire the torch. Anything you can draw or use a template. You can make it 1:1 or make it another ratio. Google Torch Pantograph. Lots of hits. I would opt for a conventional pantograph with the stylus lower so you could put on a stylus and trace a drawing or run outside a pattern. Just keep in mind the kerf width
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I wondered about a pantograph, I will suggest he build his own. That is something he could without me. He is 16 and a bit shy on perseverance.
I took a hockey logo and made a negative size shadow layer to allow for the torch tip. Looks fine on paper.... I will try cutting one out to see if it actually does what I hope it will.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Sawdust. Before I worked out cutting square/rec tubing on my CNC, I made templates for everything and hand cut. It was simple.....draw them up including compensation in all directions for .5 drag shield diameter, blow them out, clean up and enjoy. I would regularly squirt them down with antispatter. I would also squirt the part to be cut with a generous dose of antispatter spray. This would lube the part and template and help the torch glide along. This is assuming that by hand torch, you are referring to a hand plasma torch.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”