Fire Rings ---- paint or Rust?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Fire Rings ---- paint or Rust?

Post by larrycameron44 »

Hi all, seeking advice on Fire Rings, I see lots on here but was wondering if you all paint them with a Fireproof type paint or let them rust naturally.
Or does the paint eventually wear off and it rusts no matter what?

Also is there a particular thickness these are preferable to be made like 1/8" (3.2mm) or 3/16" (4.7mm).
Sorry us folks down south of the equator use the metric system but us oldies can use both. :mrgreen:
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fire Rings ---- paint or Rust?

Post by Scratch »

Fire proof paint will come off quick anyways on fire rings. You could put a quick coat on to make it look good right away if you want, but after a few hot fires, you won't be able to tell it was ever painted. I don't paint mine and no one says a word.

I like to use 3/16". I've made a couple with 1/8" but on some of the cutouts, after a good fire, the cutouts got started to bend when logs fell against them.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

Scratch wrote:Fire proof paint will come off quick anyways on fire rings. You could put a quick coat on to make it look good right away if you want, but after a few hot fires, you won't be able to tell it was ever painted. I don't paint mine and no one says a word.

I like to use 3/16". I've made a couple with 1/8" but on some of the cutouts, after a good fire, the cutouts got started to bend when logs fell against them.
Thanks Scratch for that info 3/16" it is then and rusty too.
Cheers
Larry
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

If you want to preserve it a little longer then season it like you would a dutch oven
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

fitzy wrote:If you want to preserve it a little longer then season it like you would a dutch oven
Thanks fitzy, thats a great idea!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”