xbox controler

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
blackandtan
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

xbox controler

Post by blackandtan »

I am trying to set up an xbox controller on my table but so far I can not get it to work. the computer sees it and I have the plugin installed and active but still will not work. In the bottom left corner of the config screen there is a box that says controller with found and none inside the box. None is selected and the box is grayed out. Is this the problem if so how would I get the box to be not grayed out? This is with CandCNC Ethercut. I will buy the PN200 but at this time I cant afford to spend the money on it.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: xbox controler

Post by Oldsarge »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handheld-2-4G-M ... 1e898c7873

Use mine constantly and I love it... Works seamlessly with XP and you can't beat the price... comes with a charging cable and I have to charge mine up once a week or so depending on how much I use it. Has internal batteries.

You don't have to hold any function keys to do anything including raise/lower the Z and the mouse touchpad actually works!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I use a wireless XBox 360 controller on my candcnc ethercut, and it works fine. I use a Mach3 plugin from the Mach3 website. The attached PDF gives quite a bit of help.
Xbox360Plugin.pdf
Steve

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

That's interesting, I've never seen one of those, guess I never looked. I would assume it just acts like a regular wireless keyboard just smaller so no setup needed?
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

is your xbox controller microsoft?
do you have Xbox360_32Eng.exe loaded?
is there the correct quadrant light lit up?

other than loading gcode into mach3 the xbox controller is the only thing i touch
not sure how people run a table without it :mrgreen:

i have ours configured to:
turn on laser x-hairs
control a,x,y,z axis's
zero x,y,z axis's (no a axis zero needed)
coolant on/off
start/stop program
rewind gcode
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

I'm not sure if it Microsoft or not, does it need to be? I stole it from my nephew, he said it was new but that's about all I know about it. It does have the top left quadrant light come on and if I hit the center round button the help window comes up on the screen but nothing else does anything.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

The plugin supports the Microsoft Xbox360 Controllers. If you have a different one, then you have to go to the config screen in Mach3 and change the VendorId and ProductID of the controller you do have.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

I see that makes sense now. I will check it out and let you know.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

blackandtan wrote:I am trying to set up an xbox controller on my table but so far I can not get it to work. the computer sees it and I have the plugin installed and active but still will not work. In the bottom left corner of the config screen there is a box that says controller with found and none inside the box. None is selected and the box is grayed out. Is this the problem if so how would I get the box to be not grayed out? This is with CandCNC Ethercut. I will buy the PN200 but at this time I cant afford to spend the money on it.
You may face dueling plugins. We have never tried an Xbox USB controller and that plugin runing with the ESS plugin and the EtherCut plugins. I have no clue if the MACH xbox plugin will work. Even though you don't have the PN200 the hooks are still there in the c3Bus 4 port USB to RS485 to talk to the internal commands in MACH.

TOM C
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

Oldsarge wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handheld-2-4G-M ... 1e898c7873

Use mine constantly and I love it... Works seamlessly with XP and you can't beat the price... comes with a charging cable and I have to charge mine up once a week or so depending on how much I use it. Has internal batteries.

You don't have to hold any function keys to do anything including raise/lower the Z and the mouse touchpad actually works!

Oldsarge
I was skeptical. Of coarse I ordered it and it functions,surprisingly well.
Awesome! Anyone have an idea how I can set a hot key to toggle THC in mach?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I just got around to checking an X box controller with the MP3100 DTHC-IV the wired one worked but the wireless did not.
I only checked the axis movement no other functions.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

I also have the same mini keyboard that Oldsarge has. I have my normal keyboard and mouse at the computer and this plugged in at the same time. It works perfectly and is very useful in all aspects of CNC control.

Scott
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

Anyone have an idea how I can set a hot key to toggle THC in mach?

I would like a hot key shortcut as well for THC off/on. Any thoughts Tom?

Scott Sutton
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I may be wrong, but I believe to have a hotkey set up in Mach you have to go into a screen designer program like the ones shown here: http://www.machsupport.com/software/dow ... creensets/ And you assign a hotkey to a button in the designer.

I downloaded all the files to use the screen designer, but I just don't have the time to take on the learning curve and the many hours it would take to design and tweek the screens....

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

I use a Generic X-Box 360 Controller with my Ethercut Bladerunner there is a conflict with Scanything when the X-Box Controller is plugged in. I downloaded the plugin from MACH SUPPORT... X-Box Schilling... Works fine.

When time and money permits I will probably order up the Hand Wheel from CandCNC...
But for now my X-Box Jog Box works fine.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The DTHC IV has no THC button in MACH (to turn the MACH3 THC on.off.) because it does not use it. The DTHC ON/Off button can probably be called if you can figure out how to toggle a screen (OEM) button via the USB driver link

You need to be aware that the DTHC IV on/off is dynamic from the g-code, meaning it self-toggles ON at the beginning of each cut and OFF at the end so if you do have the control of the button you either need to be in Manual Mode or be ready to use the button on every cut.

There are some pretty powerful options in the latest POST DTHC-HYT-TAP_SoftPierce+Marker-rev11D.scpost . One in the Operations window in SheetCAM is "Min cut length for DTHC ON" If you are cutting something (like small holes or short lines or smaller shapes) just put in a number greater than the total length of the cut and anything shorter than that will automatically leave the DTHC turned off. No Cut Rule needed

Even in older models running with the parallel port and that DO use the internal MACH THC you will find that turning it on or off during motion will cause a pause in the motion and you will get a bad divot or on thinner materiel lose arc ok and it will stop.

There are several ways to control the DTHC ON/Off from code.

The latest Updated drivers and firmware will be posted today. The announcement and links will be a Special Announcement on the support form and on the manuals page of the website
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

Thc,or dthc whatever you want to call it. I need to manually turn it off before my first pierce, as the torch will not start travel with it "on" . I've tried setting delay times, min cut lengths and also cut rules. Still can't run a program without toggling it off to begin a cut. Torch fires and pierces, no other motion will happen.
Troy W
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Troy W »

I’m using a Xbox controller as well with CANDCNC parallel set up and I’m wondering if you can assign buttons to adjust volts. Anyone have any ideas?
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Troy you should be able to write a macro in MACH that lets you set a value in the Preset DRO (PEM DRO) using the screen builder. YOU will probably have to just assign the UP and DOWN "bump" buttons in the THC section because DRO;s need a number pad to do an entry
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

You should not have to turn off the DTHC beacuse in code it not on until the Z moves from pierce to cut height . DTHC is dynamic control codes to turn ot on and off. If you have a DTHC !! or DTHC IV then there are specific S codes it understands to turn the DTHC on on off , After it turns on you can set a DTHC delay that stops it from moving the Z until after that time expires. Depending on the age of the system and the length of your trrch hose you may need to add in a macro that holds motion until the ARC OK goes active. If the problem is that it refuses to move then you are not getting Arc OK at the beginning.
Troy W
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Troy W »

tcaudle wrote:Troy you should be able to write a macro in MACH that lets you set a value in the Preset DRO (PEM DRO) using the screen builder. YOU will probably have to just assign the UP and DOWN "bump" buttons in the THC section because DRO;s need a number pad to do an entry
Ok thanks, that is beyond my knowledge so I will need to start a course on YouTube University I guess.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

To do numbers you have to have a keyboard entry. Button pushes are pretty easy.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

We have used Xbox plug in on CandCNC hardware for 6-7 years. It worked great in all the forms. However we integrate the PN200 on all our CandCNC driven Star Lab machines which is superior in almost every way to an Xbox controller. The PN200 has hundreds of functions. The Xbox controller has as many as there are buttons. It is limiting. The Xbox controller should be examined as the minimum controller for use while the PN200 should be tried at least one. You will quickly learn how much better the PN200 is.
Troy W
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Troy W »

BTA Plasma wrote:We have used Xbox plug in on CandCNC hardware for 6-7 years. It worked great in all the forms. However we integrate the PN200 on all our CandCNC driven Star Lab machines which is superior in almost every way to an Xbox controller. The PN200 has hundreds of functions. The Xbox controller has as many as there are buttons. It is limiting. The Xbox controller should be examined as the minimum controller for use while the PN200 should be tried at least one. You will quickly learn how much better the PN200 is.
I would buy a PN200 in a heartbeat if it didn’t have a cord. The wireless aspect of the 360 controller is hard to beat but I am still considering the PN200. I just want to assign 2 buttons to raise or lower arc voltage but will need to learn Mach3 screen designer in order to do so.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I'm wondering how you handle the auto power off function on the wireless Xbox controller. I thought a wireless controller would be handy, but mine powers off after a time with no activity and crashes Mach3. Then I have to restart to get it to function again. I have not been able to find a way to disable this.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”