MAKE ME A WIDGET!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

MAKE ME A WIDGET!

Post by Joe Jones »

I am wondering how to find someone who can make a small quantity of TEN pieces of metal with a CNC machine, based on a design I drew. It would require machining with a milling machine, not plasma.

Everyone wants me to order a thousand of them before they will take me seriously, but I only need ten pieces, initially. If they work as I expect them to, I may then order a thousand of them.

I know there are prototyping services out there. I don't want some guy in China or Bangladesh! I want a good ol' boy in 'MERICA to make these!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: MAKE ME A WIDGET!

Post by AREA »

Depending on the complexity I may be able to help you out Joe. Can you share a pic or file of what you wanting machined? Also let me know your required tolerance.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

AREA wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:25 am Depending on the complexity I may be able to help you out Joe. Can you share a pic or file of what you wanting machined? Also let me know your required tolerance.
Hi, and thank you. I will keep you in mind.

I was pointed to a company called SEND CUT SEND which is a rapid prototyping company. I have ordered some things from them based on DXF files I drew. I am NOT an engineer, and I do not play one on TV. So these might be a total flop! But I had to start somewhere. Their prices are reasonable, and they do one-offs and small quantities.

I have many other things in mind to make this year. I also bought a CreatBot D600 PRO 3D printer, but it still sits in my shop untouched as I struggle to learn Fusion 360, so I can CREATE the things that are bouncing around in my empty head :lol:

Motorcycle accessories, gun accessories and ... mods :mrgreen: and tools, etc. I wish I was in my current situation and only 24 instead of 64. I would be killing it.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

I have a local specialty machine shop that I work with. I just ordered 4 custom Smap’NCut mounts that are ultimately for a large company. There are many specialty machine shops across the country who are happy to do this, just have to search them out.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:14 pm I have a local specialty machine shop that I work with. I just ordered 4 custom Smap’NCut mounts that are ultimately for a large company. There are many specialty machine shops across the country who are happy to do this, just have to search them out.
Yeah. The trick is to find one that does not require you to mortgage your home just to get one or two prototype pieces made! :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:22 am
rdj357 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:14 pm I have a local specialty machine shop that I work with. I just ordered 4 custom Smap’NCut mounts that are ultimately for a large company. There are many specialty machine shops across the country who are happy to do this, just have to search them out.
Yeah. The trick is to find one that does not require you to mortgage your home just to get one or two prototype pieces made! :lol:

Joe
I have that exact one just 10 miles from me! They now make many of the parts for Snap'NCut magnetic mounts for me as well!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The first two plates I ordered arrived. Wow! Impressive! I'm gonna have to break down and buy a fiber laser. There is just no two ways about it. :-?

That KERN FiberCELL 3,000 Watt fiber laser is calling my name...

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

jousley
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jousley »

didn't the first response provide an answer?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yes, but as a result of the outcome, the device has been redesigned, and now it requires NO machining at all. We have switched to using a 3D printer to accomplish the same task for a LOT less money.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”