Torch Cutting Problem

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
jeremystl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torch Cutting Problem

Post by jeremystl »

Im Stuck,

I just built my first plasma table. So I am new to mach3 and cnc. The problem I am having is when I run the gcode with no metal for the torch to cut..it fires and works perfectly threw the gcode. When I attempt to cut metal with it all it will do is pierce the metal at every entry point and not keep the torch going. The plasma cutter is a pilot start. I have grounded the plasma table to its own grounding rod. I have to constantly keep hitting the torch on off button on mach3 to keep it firing when it is cutting metal. On mach 3 it shows that the torch is turned on during the run. I im pretty sure it is since once i remove the metal it fires fine. I do not have a thc I am just setting the cutting height manually.

My break out board is SainSmart 5 Axis Breakout Board for Stepper Motor Driver CNC Mill
I have the 2 pin connector on the plasma cutter wired up to the relay on the break out board.

My Plasma Cutter is a
TOOLIOM 50A Non High Frequency Plasma Cutter Non-Touch Pilot ARC 110/220V Dual Voltage Cutting Machine 1/2" Clean Cut

Thank you for your time

Jeremy
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch Cutting Problem

Post by acourtjester »

Not sure but you may not have the torch close enough for it to keep going. What does you cut look like with you manually firing it. Normally you pierce are about 0.160" and cut are about 0.060". Try cutting straight lines and stopping about about 1" of cut and measure the torch tip to metal distance. Another thing is air pressure if not enough air is supplied the torch will shut off. Add a pressure gauge to the input to the plasma unit so you can see if constant pressure is there at all time, I would say at least 80 if not 100 PSI. And attached the plasma units work lead directly to the metal you are cutting. If you can run the plasma with 220 volts from 50 Amp supply line.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

It sounds like you might be cutting to high. What cut height are you using? Also post some photos so we can see what is going on.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I am assuming you are using a hand held torch in which case I would try pulling the trigger on the hand torch and determine if the cut continues when operating the torch with out the computer controls. Let us know.
jeremystl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeremystl »

Thanks for the replies. I will take a video tonight of what it is doing exactly. And post it.
jeremystl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeremystl »

Here are 2 videos of the way it functions. I also experimented with several different torch heights as other suggested and nothing changed. Is there a possibility it is a still a grounding problem somewhere in the lines with he way this is behaving. As you can see with no metal fires perfect and on time.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ql9vFBj4EFw trying to cut metal
https://youtube.com/shorts/SXnfkKTgg5g with out metal just firing into the air
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jeremy - I really can't tell anything from your videos. Perhaps post some photos of your actual cuts or cut parts so we can see what you are dealing with.
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That's the strangest thing. I have no clue.

Are your consumables in good shape?

Is the ground clamp on the material you are cutting?

Have you experimented to determine if it does that at different amperage settings?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jeremy - have you tried to use the plasma cutter for manual cutting (cutting by hand, not cnc)?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Perhaps post some photos as well.
David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”