New Pipe and Tubing Cutter In The Works

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New Pipe and Tubing Cutter In The Works

Post by acourtjester »

I will post a video showing how I did the setup soon.
Here is a video of the rotational cutter with paper attached to check things out before cutting. This also shows the way it appears on the monitor screen. This was using a pen holder I have to put in place of the torch to mark the paper.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:42 am
Also worth noting here that those pipe cuts in the Shape Tool are available to all users with the Advanced Design upgrade. I don’t own their pipe cutting attachment so I’m unaware if any other shapes are added or if the main difference is that it adjusts the visible table size?
Well whaddayaknow?! Thank you Robert!

I did not realize that the pipe cutting shapes were part of the advanced design upgrade. :oops: I thought that this option was added (turned on) via the pipe cutting software upgrade. I thought that drawing tool was ONLY added after you purchased the pipe cutting upgrade and the actual pipe cutter attachments. I never tried to shut off the pipe cutter upgrade to see if that shape tool disappeared. Sure enough, it is part of Advanced Design. :HaHa I guess that one slipped past PlasmaCam's $998.00 optional feature upgrade screeners.

You learn something new every day, and its not even my birthday.

Now I have to wonder what is actually added to DesignEdge with the pipe cutting software upgrade.

It eliminates the need for the gantry limit switch signal. I guess it just presumes that the top dead center of the cylinder is the home position.

What else does it do?

It looks like it calculates the roller spacing for those clunky PlasmaCam pipe roller finger pinching contraptions. I am not sure that is really necessary, except that the distances should be the same, so the pipe is (presumably) level with the gantry tube. Their calculation of the roller spacing is probably derived from the best two points to roll under the cylinder, perhaps at the 4-o-clock and 8-o-clock positions, or whatever.

It tells you whether you need the short belt or the long belt for the diameter you are cutting. I guess that helps with their apparatus. :roll:

It changes the rotation of your table axis and controller box. This is probably because you have to disassemble your table to remove the gantry tube, in order to reconfigure it as a pipe cutting attachment that hangs off of the rail to the inside of the table. This is why I tell everyone to purchase a spare gantry tube, and if you can afford it, also a spare carriage assembly, and a spare torch. It makes setting up the PlasmaCam pipe cutter SO MUCH EASIER!
PIPE CUTTER SETTINGS PC OFF.jpg
PIPE CUTTER SETTINGS PC ON.jpg
It also changes the X and Y travel ranges of your table. This is because the X travel range limit is now the length of the gantry tube that is reconfigured into the pipe cutter, rather than the length of the rails. This is not evident on the 4x4 tables because 48x48 flipped doesn't show, but on the Samson 510 tables, the 60 and 120 trade places.
PIPE CUTTER DE SCREEN - PC OPTION OFF.jpg
PIPE CUTTER DE SCREEN.jpg
It draws a cut area that represents the unwrapped cylinder based on the diameter you enter.

It INCREASES the (x-) and (Y-) margins

It DECREASES the (X+) and (Y+) margins

WELL! If the pipe cutting software upgrade is not needed to create the cut paths, then that is GREAT NEWS! Once you find another way to rotate the pipe for cutting, by buying my pipe cutting accessory for example :Yay you are done!

AS IF this day couldn't get any better, I just got word that the EPB (Electric Plant Board) here in Kentucky will expand their FioS Internet service to my street by December!

Gosh ... first we got indoor plumbing. Then we got electricity. Then a color television set. And now ... fiber Internet. I might have to go buy a pair of shoes and dress in my Sunday go to meetin' clothes.

I just can't stop SMILING! :mrgreen:

Joe

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The second attempt at the pipe cutter was a mild success. Unfortunately, I set all of the holes for SAE sizes, and all of the bearings are $&%^* METRIC sizes. So I had to manually drill out all of he holes to accept the metric hardware. I am going to cut another one, with all of the adjustments made, so the holes are the right size off of the table. Then when those 75-tooth pulleys arrive from Amazon, the whole thing will come together.

I want to build a working prototype, and then take the DXF files to a local fabrication company that does laser cutting and metal forming. I think they can produce the 15 components faster and cheaper, and cleaner than I can make them by hand. It all comes down to money. If they can produce the parts for the right price, I will just let them do it. Rather than fuss with powder coating, I think I will make everything out of stainless steel too. I guess I can use aluminum too.

As a backup plan, I have applied for the financing to get a 'YUGE dual laser table to cut them myself if that becomes necessary. I might have to break down and spend that $200K on the one I saw at FabTech a few years ago.

Joe
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is the video on the CAD software drawings I made, I'm sure other info may be needed. This is on the Google drive and is about 50 MB
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The link doesn't work for me.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:42 am
adbuch wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:39 am By the way, Plasmacam Design Edge has a nice program for automatically creating pipe cuts at different angles, square pipe cuts, etc. The pipe cutter software will accommodate pipe/tube sizes from 1.5" up to 13.5" outside diameter.

Design Edge Pipe Cutter Program.jpg
Also worth noting here that those pipe cuts in the Shape Tool are available to all users with the Advanced Design upgrade. I don’t own their pipe cutting attachment so I’m unaware if any other shapes are added or if the main difference is that it adjusts the visible table size?
Robert - when I deactivate the pipe cutting software level (I do have the pipe cutting upgrade) the selection table in the Shape Tool looks the same and offers the same selection choices. So it would appear that no other shapes are added with the upgrade.
David
pipe cutter level turned off.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here is the link again

I just downloaded the video shown here
google drive.JPG
google dirve 2.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Nah. I don't want to download something to my computer. Thanks anyway. Put it on a You Tube or BitChute or Vimeo site and I will watch it there.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:33 pm here is the link again

I just downloaded the video shown here
google drive.JPG
google dirve 2.JPG
Thanks Tom! I don't have sound enabled on this computer, so you may have mentioned what CAD program you are using, but I missed it.
So - if you don't mind - which CAD program are you using for your video?
Thanks,
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

TurboCAD Deluxe 2018, If you look at it on their site they have a few different versions. Like for house planning and furniture, I think all the Deluxe are straight CAD https://www.turbocad.com/ they have gone up in price I paid about $150. now $230. may be not a powerful as others but works fine for me, I also use it for 3-D basic drawing and move to a 3-D type program for extruding ect.
have fun
Tom
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 pm TurboCAD Deluxe 2018, If you look at it on their site they have a few different versions. Like for house planning and furniture, I think all the Deluxe are straight CAD https://www.turbocad.com/ they have gone up in price I paid about $150. now $230.
have fun
Tom
Tom - thanks for sharing that. I will take a look. I always am interested in seeing what the other CAD programs can do.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:07 pm Nah. I don't want to download something to my computer. Thanks anyway. Put it on a You Tube or BitChute or Vimeo site and I will watch it there.

Joe
No need to download anything. Just click on Tom's video and it will play right here on the forum. You can also expand to full screen to make it easier on your eyes.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:26 am

No need to download anything. Just click on Tom's video and it will play right here on the forum. You can also expand to full screen to make it easier on your eyes.
Okay ... I will try it again. But when I clicked on it before, it asked me to download a ZIP file and unpack it on my PC.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I got nothing.

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks David happy to help, I agree on seeing what is available that may fit your needs :Like Like the saying you never have enough tools :Yay
Sorry Joe I have no answer as to why your having a problem.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:16 am Thanks David happy to help, I agree on seeing what is available that may fit your needs :Like Like the saying you never have enough tools :Yay
Sorry Joe I have no answer as to why your having a problem.
Yes - I agree! It's always nice to acquire new tools and capabilities. I suspect that Joe has some problems with his computer which are not allowing him to see your video. I just click on the arrow on the front of the video and it plays right here in the thread. I am using Windows 10 with the stock video player.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I cannot get it to play with either Google Chrome or Microsoft EDGE browsers. :Sad

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Damn. I have to shift gears. I was relying on the Plasmacam gantry and carriage assembly for part of this cutter, but I just fabricated a test piece and the %$^#& gantry is too unstable to handle it! :-x Dang springs and bolts nonsense! I am going to abandon that plan and move to Plan B.

The main rollers are basically done. I ordered some more stuff off of Amazon tonight. It is difficult to find a spacer with a 5mm ID and a 7mm OD. I found something that might work. :roll:

Now I am looking at a sturdy track that will attach directly to the table frame, and bypass the PlasmaCam gantry and carriage altogether, except that one servo motor will be used to push the device. In this way I can make it rigid without relying on the flippity floppity gantry and carriage assemblies.

Pressing on ...

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I am using Firefox browser on this computer, and the video plays fine. I just tried opening it with Chrome, and it would not open and gave an error message telling me to download. It might be time for Joe to upgrade from Chrome to Firefox.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I had firefox. too many worms and trojans issues. I have Norton now, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I use Chrome. i will try Firefox again. Thanks.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I use Malwarebytes Premium to keep the malware at bay.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I sent an inquiry to 80/20 about building the trolley and crane arm I want for this pipe cutter. I wish they had a WALK IN store somewhere. I want to walk in, see, feel, and "tinker" with the components. Everything they do is via catalogs. I would travel across the country to walk into a MENARD'S size 80/20 store!

Joe
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:12 am I had firefox. too many worms and trojans issues. I have Norton now, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I use Chrome. i will try Firefox again. Thanks.

Joe
Linux , problem solved, add linuxcnc cost and closed application REALLY solved
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

robertspark wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:05 am
Joe Jones wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:12 am I had firefox. too many worms and trojans issues. I have Norton now, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I use Chrome. i will try Firefox again. Thanks.

Joe
Linux , problem solved, add linuxcnc cost and closed application REALLY solved
He is using Plasmacam Design Edge, so Windows is required. I don't think Joe is interested in switching to Linux and then installing Windows API or a virtual machine. But thanks for the suggestion.
David
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I am surprised how supportive of plasmacam he is but yet critical of the company plasmacam. I still cannot believe the money that people chuck at that company that is so closed shop and arrogant.

understand it 10 plus years ago when plasma and CNC was a smaller sector with less offerings.... these days the options are vast and the business practice arrogance of plasmacam surprises me that people put up with it and are supportive of it.

sunk cost effect / fallacy?

something I don't suffer from , but suspect it's a perspective thing.... for me it's all about learning.... and an education costs money.... good education costs good money and so does ignorance I guess.

I am still waiting to see some pictures on the development of this tube cutter (out of curiosity, don't need one, won't be buying one..... but it's interesting to see how others solve problems)

Steve Jobs had less hype with the first iPhone being released and musk too with the much behind programme at the time Tesla 3.... tauted to be the next module T ford equivalent for the masses entry into electric cars.

clearly this tube cutter has got to be cutting edge (pun intended) and innovative like never seen before...

enough yabbering about wrong / incorrect parts selected and more parts awaited

show us some pictures!!!!!

there are clearly a number of us following these threads and Joe has us hooked.

show us some development

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”