Cutting diamond plate aluminum with a circular saw

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Kelantie
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting diamond plate aluminum with a circular saw

Post by Kelantie »

Bought some 1/8" diamond plate https://mechanicfaq.com/7-1-4-circular-saw-blades/ for my floor and decks and am considering cutting with a powersaw but it seems dangerous. Anyone been doing this and would you use carbide tipped blades or regular fine tooth steel?
Last edited by Kelantie on Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting diamond plate aluminum with a circular saw

Post by plasmanewbie »

I've cut aluminum before on a table saw with carbide tooth blade with no problems but never used a circular saw. Keep the blade lubed up with some WD-40
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

Never done it.... But everyone has an opinion .... Check the tooth count on a fine tooth wheel given it may gum up .... I know you can get metal cutting discs (not chop saw, circular saw discs .... But never used one but the ones I've seen look to be a course tooth pitch)

Eg
https://goo.gl/images/Y2b6am
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I cut Aluminum all the time on my table saw. I have a carbide tipped blade that I use only for that. I also use a lot of WD40 for lube. If you don't, the blade will gum up with aluminum.
You can buy special metal cutting blades for Ferris and non-Ferris metals. I have a circular saw made just for cutting metal. I've cut 1/4 steel plate with it no problem, but have not used it on aluminum.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

12" non-Ferris blade in the miter saw works wonders. non-Ferris blades have a negative rake on the cutting angle which prevents it from biting in and kicking back.
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

I use a high tooth count carbide tip blades on my skill saw. I cannot remember the tooth count. Works great, never any issues. Just don't plow it or go to fast. I use a dedicated blade for aluminum only. Same applies to using my table or chop saw. Do not ever use an abrasive blade on aluminum. Very bad. Will clog the abrasive blade and could cause it to break apart. When possible, try to use a straight edge guide on your cuts to minimize binding. You may find it easier to cut the diamond plate aluminum smooth side up, but be careful to do your layout in reverse. I have cut a lot of aluminum with all three tools and never used WD40 or other lubricants. I have never had and issues with the blades clogging up. If you do have that happen, your likely cutting or pushing the saw to fast. I have tried a motor speed control to reduce the motor RPM, but saw no appreciable differences. Just take your time and wear safety glasses at the absolute minimum. Full face mask is better. If you use a table saw, be mindful of potential kick backs. A piece of aluminum kicking back would be like a power knife throwing machine.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

It's impressive how well a carbide tipped blade will cut ferrous and non ferrous metals. I too do it all the time no lube.
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

Try Tapmatic Edge Lube, it is a wax stick lubricant you can use on many applications when cutting or grinding aluminum along with the above blade suggestions by others.
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Install ear plugs & getter done.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
BAR M
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BAR M »

I always use kerosene as a lubricant when cutting, drilling, or tapping aluminum.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”