Hypertherm PM65 Constant 0-21 Error

Discussion on 0-21 fault codes
HolleyCustom
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Hypertherm PM65 Constant 0-21 Error

Post by HolleyCustom »

Hypertherm PM65 with Duramax Machine torch, Over the past few weeks I have been getting the 0-21 (Gas Lost While Cutting) Error when using Finecut consumables. I have checked all of my air lines and have a gauge at my cutter it isn't an issue with the air pressure, I have replaced all of the Finecut consumables without any change the error 0-21 comes in about every 1/2" of cut. I have reverted to cutting with a standard 45A tip with no issues, It is just happening with the Finecut. I called Hypertherm tech support and was instructed to preform a gas flow test witch came up good my machine only has 15.4 arc hours on it, I am cutting 16g hot roll on a water table. I have a theory that it is either moisture in the air as I don't have an air dryer and live where it is very humid now or the water in the water table is causing a problem. The water in the water table is almost touching the bottom of the steel, my air system has a coalescing filter and standard filter between the compressor and cutter, there is no visible moisture at the cutter but could be vapor. I am leaning toward the moisture of water table as the culprit because my electrode and internal nozzle turn somewhat black after medium use.

Has anyone run into this problem with repeated 0-21 (Gas Lost While Cutting) error? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You!
Torchmate2 4x8 with AVHC
Hypertherm 65 Duramax Torch
Thermaldynamics 42
Miller 211 Auto Set
Lincoln Tombstone Scratch TIG
AHP Alpha TIG 200X (In Testing)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm PM65 Constant 0-21 Error

Post by acourtjester »

Do you have a pressure gauge located at the rear of the 65 so you check if there is a drop in pressure there.
Have you check the filter at the read of the 65 too.
From the posts here moisture in the air will cause the consumables for go bad faster and should not give the error you are getting
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
HolleyCustom

Post by HolleyCustom »

acourtjester
Thank you for your input, yes I have a pressure gauge located at the rear of the 65 120Psi normal 5psi drop when torch is activated. Yes I have checked the filter on the rear of the cutter also it looks like new. When I preformed the gas flow test suggested by Hypertherm Tech Support the torch pressure was within 1Psi of set-point each time I did the test.

Thanks Again
Torchmate2 4x8 with AVHC
Thermaldynamics 42
Miller 211 Auto Set
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

I have had this same issue with my PM65 and for me the fix was to move from one port coming off the compressor to another. I kept the same air line going to the machine so I can validate that it was not the airline. Each port from my compressor has it's own valve, filter and regulator so I am leaning toward it being an issue somewhere in line with the equipment on the port inlet. Not sure if this will help you but since I have switched I've not had an issue again. I did move the cutter airline back to the original troublesome port with the same issue again. I will follow up with my findings after I put a new regulator, filter, valve and quick connect fitting on the line.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
HolleyCustom

Post by HolleyCustom »

KIDTech
Thank You for the info I will give it a try, Hell I will try anything at this point!
Torchmate2 4x8 with AVHC
Thermaldynamics 42
Miller 211 Auto Set
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The actual air pressure reading in the Hypertherm that can cause a 0-21 error code is an actual voltage reading taken inside the torch. With proper air flow and purity (moisture) this voltage reading stays within a certain range and no error is issued. When the air flow changes...the resistance of the ionized air changes......which is the way the Powermax senses low air flow. When high levels of moisture get in the air line...the water changes the conductivity of the air...and can also cause the 0-21 code. Last, but not least.....a worn out swirl ring can also cause this code.

My advice: 1. Be sure your inlet air pressure stays above 90 psi at all times....with air flowing at the torch. Check it when the compressor is at the bottom of its on/off cycle. 2. If there is no sign of moisture in the onboard filter bowl....then you probably don't have a water issue. 3. Change the swirl ring to a new one. They do wear out eventually! Jim Colt Hypertherm
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

I get 0-21 code all the time. I tried running different ports and that didn't help. I did all the air tests Jim recommends and they were within limits. Changed all the consumables, still did it. It is always with finecut, never does it with any other consumables. Kind of like with the firing issues I referenced in another post, I usually just plan to hit the stop button, rewind the code, and start over.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Would you happen to be using the copper plus electrodes with the finecut nozzles? I believe this combination could cause this problem easier than a standard electrode with the finecut nozzles.

HTH
Paul
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you have tested everything I suggest...then it is time to contact Hypertherm tech service. I have never had an 0-21 error code....my Powermax85 is approaching 6 years of use....Finecuts are used often. Jim Colt Hypertherm

littlefatbuddy wrote:I get 0-21 code all the time. I tried running different ports and that didn't help. I did all the air tests Jim recommends and they were within limits. Changed all the consumables, still did it. It is always with finecut, never does it with any other consumables. Kind of like with the firing issues I referenced in another post, I usually just plan to hit the stop button, rewind the code, and start over.
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

Jim, as I am relatively knew to this I had never heard you mention the moisture issue in reference to an 0-21. I changed my dessicant, motor guard filter, and the expensive little onboard filter. The humidity here has been unusually high this summer. I ran yesterday without getting a code. It was weird not to have to rewind and start over 12 times with one design. I believe at this point moisture was my problem.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

It is probably not the moisture specifically causing the issue....however when moisture saturates the dessicant, the motor guard and the internal filter....then the air flow gets restricted. Restricted airflow will always cause an 0-21. Maybe you need a refrigerated air dryer? Also....when you get moisture in the system...the moisture (over time) can dimensionally affect the swirl ring in the torch....when the swirl ring is out of tolerance it will affect air flow and will affect the necessary movement of the electrode in the torch...an 0-21 and a "stuck consumables code are the result often. Jim Colt Hypertherm
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

Thank you for the reply. I had started getting the stuck consumables code as well. I probably do need a refrigerated dryer. It seems like this Iron Horse compressor creates a lot of moisture. No complaints with the compressor, it just makes a lot of moisture. I only had about five minutes of cut time on the swirl ring, nozzle and electrode when I changed all the filter stuff so it was working great. Thanks again, I never skip one of your posts.
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

littlefatbuddy wrote:Thank you for the reply. I had started getting the stuck consumables code as well. I probably do need a refrigerated dryer. It seems like this Iron Horse compressor creates a lot of moisture. No complaints with the compressor, it just makes a lot of moisture. I only had about five minutes of cut time on the swirl ring, nozzle and electrode when I changed all the filter stuff so it was working great. Thanks again, I never skip one of your posts.
Same compressor till it burned up on me. Check your check valve on your tank or just change it once a year. Mine went bad and caused me to burn up the head. Nothing to with your problem but wanted to help a future problem. I started getting this code now after about 20 min of straight cutting. Mine is airflow. What I did to get rid of my moisture issue was took a old 36 gallon tank from a old Compressor. Hung it on the wall from the rafter about 20' down line. Brought air into the bottom of the tank and air leaves out of the tank to go another 20' to the hypertherm 65. I only used a 3/8" ID hose to connect it all. So now after so long of cutting it causes the mid tank to lose pressure because the hose filling it from the main tank can not carry enough volume. When I get back from vacation I will probably change out to a 1" copper line. Just didn't have time. But I know longer have any moisture at the plasma. And I am in North Texas with crazy humidity.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
Jaked937
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jaked937 »

I've had the exact same issue and have been told by Hypertherm tech that it is a known problem with the Fine Cut and that there isn't a direct solution to fixing the issue.
MorastCNC
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MorastCNC »

I have the same issue when cutting 1.5 mm
I figured out that it is the floating z with mechanical switch causing the problem
When z goes down to detect the surface the plate flex and the the pierce height will be to low
I must secure that the plate not flex at the piercing points, when this is done it mostly works great.
THC is also wery important, with finecut you will have the 0-21 code if the nossle touch the plate
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

If you have problem with metal flex a ohmic sensor will help and use the mechanical switch as a Z down limit as a safety.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

You might be able to use a spring (or a heavier spring) to reduce the amount of pressure it takes to activate the floating head offset switch. Can't go overboard - the torch does need to return to it's original position and stay there after touch-off. I cut 16 gauge mostly and the metal doesn't flex when zeroing -Z- unless it's a delicate part and there isn't much metal left at some point. It doesn't happen very often.

YMMV

Return to “0-21 Fault Code”