Copper Plus on FineCut error 0-30

Discussion on 0-30 fault codes
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Copper Plus on FineCut error 0-30

Post by supertux »

Hi all. Anyone use copper plus electrode? your opinion? Copper Plus compatible for all Nozzle? I try usidng copper plus, and i have error 0-30 and bad condition nozzle.
Sorry for my bad english:)
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Copper Plus on FineCut error 0-30

Post by jimcolt »

The copper plus electrodes are optimized to work best with from 45 amps through 105 amps....providing dramatically longer life when cutting materials thinner than 1/2". If you are getting a 0-30 error code it usually indicates a worn out swirl ring.....which may affect the copper plus more than the standard electrode. I suggest trying a new swirl ring to see if it solves the issue.

Swirl rings and retaining caps wear over time. they can cause errors and misfiring as well as bad cut edge angularity when plugged or worn beyond use. The failure with swirl rings often is that it impedes the necessary movement (sliding) of the electrode in the torch, and over time the swirl rings crushes a bit, becoming shorter....causing the 0-30 error. Retaining caps have internal passages that route secondary air flow to the nozzle....these passages can become clogged or deformed over time, often causing wildly varying cut edge angularity.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

THanks for answer, but if i use 220842 electrode, i not have 0-30 error and any problem.... Maybe one copper plus is crashed or fake?
GPM870
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GPM870 »

getting a 0-30 error code it usually indicates a worn out swirl ring.....which may affect the copper plus more than the standard electrode.
Powermax 85
Sheetcam
Mach 3
4 x 4
burntables table
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The Copper Plus is a completely different electrode design, it actually "feeds" the hafnium emitter forward as it erodes, this is why it lasts longer under most conditions. It acts differently than the standard electrode. That is why I suggest that the swirl ring or retaining cap may be the issue.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

I use 220994 Swirl Ring for all, and my plasma working 2-3 day
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I think you have just uncovered the reason for your error code 0-30 when using the Finecut consumables......you are using the wrong swirl ring. Open your manual up to the consumables pages....the correct swirl ring for the Finecut consumables is 220857. The 994 has the wrong flow rate and swirl pattern for use with Finecut. Please use only the consumables recommended by the operators manual for best performance with your Hypertherm torch.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
supertux wrote:I use 220994 Swirl Ring for all, and my plasma working 2-3 day
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

Thanks for help. But on official site - hypertherm.com, recomended swirl ring 994 for all... or information on the hypertherm site still not update'd...??..
look this screenshot from hypertherm.com - http://radikal.ru/fp/03054ba85ae840b8a60e33b8e57048d6
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The 994 electrode is for 100 to 105 amp operation. Using the Finecut consumables you must use the 857 swirl ring. I'm not sure where you found that screenshot....but I cannot read the numbers on it. It does not appear to be from the www.hypertherm.com website. I have been with Hypertherm for over 37 years, you can trust my advice.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

supertux wrote:Thanks for help. But on official site - hypertherm.com, recomended swirl ring 994 for all... or information on the hypertherm site still not update'd...??..
look this screenshot from hypertherm.com - http://radikal.ru/fp/03054ba85ae840b8a60e33b8e57048d6
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Jim, When did this Copper Plus electrode become available? I have the Duramax Retrofit torch for my 1250, will I see improved performance over the standard 220842 electrode?
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

It has been around for a couple of years. You can go to the www.hypertherm.com website and click on products, then torch and consumables....then go to new technology/upgrades. You can see the comparative life vs the standard consumable. It is for cutting material thinner than 1/2", and can more than double your electrode life.....it cost more, of course!

Jim Colt

Nacs Fab wrote:Jim, When did this Copper Plus electrode become available? I have the Duramax Retrofit torch for my 1250, will I see improved performance over the standard 220842 electrode?
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

[quote="jimcolt"]The 994 electrode is for 100 to 105 amp operation. Using the Finecut consumables you must use the 857 swirl ring. I'm not sure where you found that screenshot....but I cannot read the numbers on it. It does not appear to be from the http://www.hypertherm.com website. I have been with Hypertherm for over 37 years, you can trust my advice.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Please look here. http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products/H ... 05.jsp?#tc
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I have a message in to our process engineering group to see why the difference on the swirl ring on the listing for Powermax105 consumables as compared to the Powermax65 and 85......as soon as I hear from them I will post my findings here.

In the mean time, have you changed the swirl ring yet....and did it solve your 0-30 error issues?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

Thanks for help. No, i'm not change swirl ring, and now i not have any error's. Today i'm cutting steel 16 and 12mm, 994 swirl ring, copper plus electrode and nozzle 85A, and i have not problem or errors, and cutting quality - perfect ;) So about FineCut and copper plus electrode, now i see updated hypertherm site info, and i see that FineCut use only 220842 electrode.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I did not know you were using a Powermax105, which does use the 994 swirl ring because of the 105 amp capability. Our engineers wanted to offer one swirl ring that would work at all power ranges so the 994 was developed with different swirl and flowrate in order to deal with the higher pilot arc current required for 105 amp cutting.

While you are correct that the 994 is recommended for all power levels, the 857 will provide better starting reliability at 45 amps and below. The 947 swirl ring is for hand cutting only, not mechanized, it is designed to transfer the arc easier when edge starting by hand.

I will stand with my recommendation to use the 220857 for Finecut / Copper plus operation for best results.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Last edited by jimcolt on Tue May 19, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

Thank you for help. I have a last question. Which electrode should i use for mechanised cutting (except copper plus) if 482 for hands only?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Sorry, typed bad info on my last post....having a bad day today I guess. The 842 electrode is used for all of the consumables sets with the Duramax torch. There is a swirl ring (220947) that is only used for hand cutting with Finecut consumables......which is what I was thinking, but wrote the wrong part number and called it an electrode!

Jim Colt

supertux wrote:Thank you for help. I have a last question. Which electrode should i use for mechanised cutting (except copper plus) if 482 for hands only?
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

Hi again. Today i'm trying use new copper plus electrode, swirl ring that advise JimColt snd new fine cut nozzle. But my all attempts is fail, all time if i push start i have error 0-30. But if i use standart electrode i not have problem. Anyone know what that? Thanks.

P.S. Tomorrow i can record video if you need.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Have you checked the air inlet pressure? My understanding is that low air inlet pressure can cause error 0-30. I am having issues with 0-30 - using both electrodes, though. I can see my pressure gauge, mounted right before the cutter, drop quite a bit right when the air first starts flowing.

Maybe the difference in how the copper plus is made causes the error more easily...?

HTH
Paul
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

how i can check the air inlet pressure? i need a special adapter?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

About $20 worth of fittings will get you a perfect inlet pressure gauge.
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG
powermaxpressuregauge 002.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

I have checked pressure today. Compressor setup - 7 bar, hypertherm input - 7 bar (the same).
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

So both gauges read exactly the same....with air flowing at the torch? Almost impossible.....as there is always some sort of restriction in the hose or piping between the compressor and the plasma cutter. You must have an air plumbing system with large diameter hoses or pipes to the plasma and no restrictions! I would expect the gauges (assuming one is at the compressor and one is mounted on the inlet fitting of the plasma) to read exactly the same when no air is flowing at the torch (static pressure) and when the air flow initiates at the torch the one on the plasma will always (every time in my 37 years) drop a bit. With minimal restriction (short hoses, large diameter) the drop will be noticeable but minimum, with long hoses of marginal diameter and filtration....expect a larger drop. Flowing pressure at the inlet must be above 90 psi (6.1 bar) for the plasma cutter to perform as designed.

Jim Colt
supertux
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by supertux »

I use oxygen hose, inner diameter 9mm. Look my cheme. I repeat, this error i have only if i use copper plus electrode with fine cut nozzle, if i use copper plus with 65/85/105 nozzle i not have problem, and if i use standart electrode with fine cut i not have problem too. Sorry for my bad english.

Regards.

P.S. In what difference 857 and 994 swirl ring, you got the answer? Thanks.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you read back at the beginning of this thread you will see where I explained that the Copper Plus electrode is a different design as compared to the standard electrode. The Finecut consumables are also more sensitive to air flow, air pressure changes. When you combine the two it is imperative that the air pressure is correct, that the swirl ring and retaining cap are not worn too much. That is why I have asked you to verify the actual air pressure entering the plasma cutter right at the inlet with a pressure gauge. I am trying to help you troubleshoot somewhat systematically.

-You do not show the location of pressure gauges in your airflow diagram, so I can only assume you have one right at the plasma inlet, after the dehumidifier and the filter. This is important because the Finecut consumables are more sensitive to low air flow....which easily can cause the 0-30 error. When used with the Copper plus, this is possible even more sensitive.

-The standard shielded consumables are not as sensitive to airflow or pressure, and do not seem more sensitive when used with CopperPlus.

-The 020857 swirl ring was the standard swirl ring for use with the Finecut, 45 amp, 65 amp and 85 amp consumables before the Powermax105 was introduced with more power (105 amps). During the development of the 105 amp consumables and cutting process there were issues with consumable life, so more design and engineering work was done....with the result being a different swirl ring part number, the 994 swirl ring. You can use the 994 swirl ring at all power levels and with all consumables. The 020857 swirl ring is recommended for all power levels and consumables except the 105 amp process.

-If you cannot get the Finecut consumables to work satisfactorily with the Copper Plus electrode....even after troubleshooting everything we have discussed....then I suggest you use the standard electrode with the Finecut consumables as you stated it works fine.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

supertux wrote:I use oxygen hose, inner diameter 9mm. Look my cheme. I repeat, this error i have only if i use copper plus electrode with fine cut nozzle, if i use copper plus with 65/85/105 nozzle i not have problem, and if i use standart electrode with fine cut i not have problem too. Sorry for my bad english.

Regards.

P.S. In what difference 857 and 994 swirl ring, you got the answer? Thanks.

Return to “0-30 Fault Code”