0-30 Fault Jim break it down for me please.

Discussion on 0-30 fault codes
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

0-30 Fault Jim break it down for me please.

Post by 762frmafr »

Jim, I was wondering if you could break down causes of the 0-30 fault.
pertneer
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 0-30 Fault Jim break it down for me please.

Post by pertneer »

Torch consumables are stuck. Most likely some splatter has gotten into the end of your shield or air has moisture/oil and caused a short between the electrode and the shield. Take out consumables and clean out any slag or fix air issues.

I also used to see this a lot before my air was clean. It seams oil in the air line screws tips up really fast. Stupid old air compressor. :lol:
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The 0-30 code has nothing to do with the shield. The electrode in the torch is spring loaded and needs to move from its no flow position against the nozzle....to a fully retracted position. Air pressure and flow in the torch is the force that moves the electrode, and if the electrode does not fully retract...you will get an 0-30 error. The most common cause of 0-30 codes is with low inlet pressure to the plasma inlet, and the code occurs more often with the FineCut consumables with their low air flow requirements.

-Recently we have had a rash of 0-30's that ultimately were caused by knockoff consumables. There are a few online ebay type sites that are selling "Hypertherm" consumables with original equipment style markings and packaging...at low prices. These consumables are poorly manufactured and have serious stack up tolerance issues.....which do not allow the electrode to slide as it needs to to start the plasma process. Beware if you bought online at a low price!

-Often the 0-30 is caused by a dip in your plasma system inlet pressure. This is best troubleshot by installing a pressure gauge at the inlet to the plasma. The gauge should show essentially the same pressure as the compressor when there is no air flow at the torch, but will normally drop 3 to 5 lbs when airflow starts at the torch. If this pressure at the inlet gets below 85 psi when flowing, it can cause the 0-30. The code may only occur under conditions where your compressor is at the bottom of its pressure cycle......most compressors cycle from 90 to 120 psi, so if it was near 90 and you have a 7 psi drop through your plumbing when air is flowing, you could occasionally have inlet pressure under 85 psi.

-If none of the above is the case...then I suggest contacting Hypertherm tech service, they can help you troubleshoot these codes.

Best regards, Jim Colt
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG

762frmafr wrote:Jim, I was wondering if you could break down causes of the 0-30 fault.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I think I got jinxed by reading this post the other day. I've NEVER had that code until today. So I checked my consumables and they looked fine. Put it back together, cut a few parts...did it again. So, even though I couldn't see anything wrong with the consumables, I replaced them and went on to cut a 4x8x3/16 with no problem. Then when I put another sheet on the table and started to cut, it did it again. DANG!!! I took the consumables out, polished the end of the electrode with Scotchbrite and stuck it back together again and cut the rest of the parts out with no problem. All through this little episode, I watched the air pressure and it was fine.

I have the Powermax 65 and my consumables come from the local Hypertherm dealer. So am I missing something here? I routinely check the spring on the electrode each time I put it back together. I'd been cutting with a 65 amp tip and when I finished cutting the 3/16, I switched to the 45 amp finecut and never had any problems with it.

GO FIGURE!
Allen

Return to “0-30 Fault Code”