Can't connect to older tracker plasma table

Tracker CNC plasma table discussion forum
SmokerBldrDoug
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Can't connect to older tracker plasma table

Post by SmokerBldrDoug »

Frustrated isn't the word. I purchased an older tracker plasma table, the original owner came by and his laptop with Windows 8 works like a charm. He gave me the settings for the IP Address and port number (Tracker suggests 192.168.100.100 and port 10001 for Windows 10). I've installed Command and Cut 5.4.26 without any issues onto my Windows 10 computer. I keep getting TCP connection is not established. I've:
1) Verified the physical port on the side works with a cat 6 cable
2) Turned off the firewall on Windows 10
3)Tried changing the IP address on the software to match my DHCP IP Address
Not one single thing has worked, I can't find anything on the internet verifying any information of the setup.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Doug
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Can't connect to older tracker plasma table

Post by adbuch »

I would be frustrated too! If all else fails, perhaps you could borrow the sellers Windows 8 laptop until you get this sorted out. Or buy a similar laptop (used) and duplicate his Windows 8 setup.
David
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

adbuch wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:06 am I would be frustrated too! If all else fails, perhaps you could borrow the sellers Windows 8 laptop until you get this sorted out. Or buy a similar laptop (used) and duplicate his Windows 8 setup.
David
I have a dedicated computer for my CNC (that's all it is used for) no internet or anything on it and use Win XP. In your case I would just pick-up an older computer with Win 8 and just run the CNC with it, solves ALL the problem and you don't have to keep paying Microsoft every couple of years for permission to run your stuff. I have a similar problem, my CNC is setup to run thru the printer port and none of the Win 10 machines even have a printer port.

Larry
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

Are you using the right cable?

Crossover or passthrough ethernet pin to pin wiring arrangement?

You can use an app like angry IP scanner to check all connected device up addresses within a range

https://angryip.org/
SmokerBldrDoug
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SmokerBldrDoug »

Robertspark - I'm unsure of whether it's a crossover or passthrough because I only see one side of it. The thing is, the previous owner of the plasma cutter came over and plugged his laptop in and it functioned, this tells me the cable is correct. I'll download angryip, that will tell me the IP of the controller, something that has bothered me not knowing. Thanks for the tip.
I'll let you know what goes down after I try it.
Jamie (Doug's father in law)
SmokerBldrDoug
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SmokerBldrDoug »

Larry83301 - I have a couple older laptops around I could put XP on ir even windows 8, but he (Doug my son in law who bought this plasma table setup) also purchased CoreDraw to use to create new designs, and it want's Winder10.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

SmokerBldrDoug wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 pm Robertspark - I'm unsure of whether it's a crossover or passthrough because I only see one side of it. The thing is, the previous owner of the plasma cutter came over and plugged his laptop in and it functioned, this tells me the cable is correct. I'll download angryip, that will tell me the IP of the controller, something that has bothered me not knowing. Thanks for the tip.
I'll let you know what goes down after I try it.
Jamie (Doug's father in law)
Some network devices can detect and flip between crossover and passthrough ethernet cables.

Auto-mdix I think it's called
https://www.practicalnetworking.net/sta ... #auto_mdix

Subnet mask is the one that always gets me

Angry IP scanner should find every device on the network, provided you give it the range you want it to scan
SmokerBldrDoug
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SmokerBldrDoug »

I'm usually pretty good with networking, although I personally use Linux at home now, but I am dual boot with Windows 10. This is a different animal to me though.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Been there! I have this which may help.

Go to network center and right click on the LAN connection, the 1st window you see here.

Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to select it, then click the properties button to open the 2nd window you see.

Enter the IP and Subnet mask as shown and you should be good.

You also need to configure the connection in the software, IP cannot match so use 192.168.100.111 and port 10001.

Make sure your ethernet cable is plugged in and you should be good to go.

TrackerNet.JPG
SmokerBldrDoug
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SmokerBldrDoug »

Sonbakler - Thanks I will give this a try. I wonder why my normal laptop IP address via DHCP doesn't work? Giving it a try, thanks again!
SmokerBldrDoug
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SmokerBldrDoug »

Nope, gonna install Angry IP and see what registers
SmokerBldrDoug
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SmokerBldrDoug »

OK got it fixed, Roberspark, you actually were onto something with the crossover vs regular Ethernet cable. The previous owner had a newer/nicer computer, his network card detected a standard ethernet cable and made the crossover internally, but when we hooked up Doug's, it was older/not as good of a network card, so it just saw it couldn't see the crossover cable (ie, couldn't communicate with the controller). Out of frustration we grabbed an extra ethernet cable cut it apart and spliced it to become a crossover cable. Bingo it worked like a charm. Now to order 2 or 3 of those crossover cables!
We'd like to thank all of you for chiming in, couldn't have figured it out without all the suggestions.
Doug/Jamie (Doug's father in law)
Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

SmokerBldrDoug wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:37 pm Larry83301 - I have a couple older laptops around I could put XP on ir even windows 8, but he (Doug my son in law who bought this plasma table setup) also purchased CoreDraw to use to create new designs, and it want's Winder10.
I actually have 3 computers running at the same time. One just runs the CNC with no connection to any outside sources (XP Pro) the other two are in the computer hooked to one screen and keyboard, but no connection between them (use flash drives to transfer) one has MasterCam and does most of the CAD work, the other does all online stuff and some CAD work and drawing junk. Time is more expensive than computers. I have a switch that changes my computers back and forth so I just sit in one spot and work on either one I want to.

Larry
PS All CNC and NC files are on ALL three so nothing gets lost if one goes down.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

SmokerBldrDoug wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am OK got it fixed, Roberspark, you actually were onto something with the crossover vs regular Ethernet cable. The previous owner had a newer/nicer computer, his network card detected a standard ethernet cable and made the crossover internally, but when we hooked up Doug's, it was older/not as good of a network card, so it just saw it couldn't see the crossover cable (ie, couldn't communicate with the controller). Out of frustration we grabbed an extra ethernet cable cut it apart and spliced it to become a crossover cable. Bingo it worked like a charm. Now to order 2 or 3 of those crossover cables!
We'd like to thank all of you for chiming in, couldn't have figured it out without all the suggestions.
Doug/Jamie (Doug's father in law)
no problem, glad you got it working :Like

Return to “Tracker CNC Forum”