Command CNC and SheetCam Easyscriber

All topics related specifically to the EasyScriber drag style scribe & engraving tool.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Command CNC and SheetCam Easyscriber

Post by TJS »

Can someone who has command cnc post their sheetcam tool as well as indicate what exactly you do when you "home Z" and what you do from there ie, do you bring your z toward the metal more to compress the spring and then zero Z. I put "home z" in quotes cause I know it is not a probe move with this. Are you disconnecting the OHMIC wire ? I need details please.

Also the loaded tools from CandCNC: i assume you are not using the preloaded plate marker/air scriber tool and building your own tool for easyscriber.
Thanks.
T.J.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Command CNC and SheetCam Easyscriber

Post by djreiswig »

2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
TJS

Post by TJS »

Thanks I read that and no help. I am looking for screen shots of sheet cam and the procedure and steps the user gets to get this to actually work in command CNC I am using 32 Bit Command CNC and the latest post and well as the latest hub firmware update. Using DTHC IV.

I had a similar issue when I used Acortjester Pen holder tool. I had to actually fudge this (run from a specific line) to get it to work. Also the pen had so much pressure on it as it was compressing all the way. No matter what I did I could not correct this. I just gave up on the pen holder tool.
Thanks
T.J.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I cannot help with screen shots and steps to make this work with Command CNC, hopefully someone can for you.

I am curious what happens if you were to use the sheetcam screenshot setting David referred to, disabled the ohmic sensing (if you can do that), and set Z zero with the torch at a height that almost completely compresses the scribe tip.

Have you played with it enough to see how it behaves in this scenario?
TJS

Post by TJS »

Thanks Weldguy.
So your answer is too far into the mix for me right now. I need to get to that point. The first thing is do I create a new tool in sheetcam, if so, what number, high or low, OR do I use the canned scribe tool in the loaded tools that come from CandCNC. I think (dangerous at some times) that if I used the canned supplied CandCNC scribe tool that there might be conflicts.

Now onto the point in regards to Zero Z at a height that almost completely compresses the scribe: This is very confusing to me because the easyscribe cut height value in their sheetcam tool states +.250". So in my mind if I were to zero Z after the tip hits the metal (no compression of the spring) then the scribe would never hit the metal because it would be approx .250" above the surface. I get what you are saying in regards to almost compressing it all the way. That way if will come up .250" and hopefully hit the metal.
So to me IMHO the cut height value should be a negative -.250,(not sure if this is even a possible value) so when you zero Z without compressing the spring, it will now hit the actual zero and move down .250 from there. Am I wrong here folks. Talk me off the ledge.
I am going to try and play with this as I need to etch in my initials in a sign I made for my class reunion.
Thanks again.
T.J.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Hey T.J.

Yes, I would create a new tool rather than use a canned tool, the tool number doesn't really matter so long as it is a tool number that is not currently being used.

As for the Zero Z I believe the only reason they say to almost completely compress the scribe before Zeroing the Z axis is because many machines will not accept a negative value for the Z height. If your machine will then the scenario you outlined using a negative .250" value would accomplish the same thing.

Curious how you make out with this.
TJS

Post by TJS »

ok folks. You cannot use Type: platemarker in command CNC. At least I could not. I guess in their post processor there is a lot of code to turn on and off the platemarker and it never touches the surface no matter what I did. It moved the Z all the way up till the z motor bottomed out(I hate doing that). Even my X and Y coordinates were like 2.38" and 3.712" inches away from my work zero no matter what i did for the origins in sheetcam. Somewhere there are offsets and I cannot find them. I went to the fixture offset and it was zeros there.
After and hour or so of fiddling, I decided to forgo the type platemarker and just put in type Plasma in there and zero everything out that i could. I then post processed fine. I then opened Command CNC. I disabled the THC, Disable Hold, Disable torch. I zeroed X and Y. Now comes the fun part.
Z.
Well as far as the OHMIC. It will not work with the easyscriber. Not because of the torch cap configuration it is because the tip of these things are diamond tipped and even when you touch the metal with the tip and put the OHMIC wire on the side of the body of the easyscriber there is no continuity. Sooooo. I then opened up the diagonstics screen and moved the Z down until I could see my regular Z switch light the LED(I have my Z set up so if the OHMIC fails due to rust or paint it will then look for the regular switch I have). So then I did a home Z and it saw the switch and then I zero'd it.
Here is the kicker. It does scribe, but when it does the touch off it is looking for the Home Z switch so it compresses the spring all the way then comes up to the cut height of .250" and scribes. The touch off routine happens all the time. Not sure how I could bypass the touchoff routine looking for the Z switch.Rapid clearance was fine during this as well. .75
So if anybody with Command CNC running easyscriber knows a better way such as a post to use where it does not have specific "platemarker" code please let me know.
T.J.
20220927_184841.jpg
20220927_185038.jpg
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

The offsets are probably in the post processor. Could you set the reference distance in SheetCam to a really big number? Or maybe zero? I'm not sure what that would do. I haven't won one of the easyscribers yet, so no experience with setting one up.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
TJS

Post by TJS »

I got it. As stated above if using easyscriber in command cnc you have to keep it a plasma type tool. Also turn off as per screen shot above. Dthc off, disable torch, disable motion hold and the final piece of the pie so it stops looking for the z switch is check the box skip touch off after you zero the z. This works good now.
Attachments
20220927_213621.jpg
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Nice. I don't have that option in mach3. I'd probably just modify my post processor to eliminate all of the unnecessary code for this tool.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Glad you figured it out T.J. and thanks for posting back your results, good info :Like :Like
TJS

Post by TJS »

I will consolidate screen shots and post them when I get a chance. It will include my new tool in sheetcam as well. Now I have to figure out how to hold the painted 18 x 36 sign I made and put my initials in the lower right corner. Not sure if I have time to do this before my reunion.
Thanks.
T.J.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I have found it does not require much weight to hold down the piece you want to scribe and keep it from moving. Of course test on scrap material first but you should have no trouble. If you get a chance to post a pic of your completed sign I would be interested in seeing it.
TJS

Post by TJS »

I just ordered some very thin magnets from McMaster. I will use my full 14 ga sheet that is on my table and square that up. Then align my sign to the full sheet with the magnets.
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SRdesign »

I just came across this after searching for how to use the easyscriber with commandcnc. Your way will work, but if you are in sheetcam don’t use the plasma cut operation. Use “contour” then leave every setting the way it is. Then when you open commandcnc you just zero your z to where the easyscriber is compressed .25 or so.
image.jpg
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That's a good tip, will try that. So using Contour rather than Plasma Cut eliminates a lot of the plasma related stuff like pierce height, cut height, etc making it simpler? Is that the idea here?
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

Yes, I’ve only done one operation so far and it was a square with a diagonal line from the top right corner of the square to the bottom left corner. It functioned exactly how a cnc router table would work. I was trying to check how square my gantry was after installing a new gear reduction belt (I still haven’t installed limit switches on my table) and was having a hard time with all of the offsets and touch offs and all of that. Since we’re on the topic of the easyscriber, is yours hard to install and remove from your torch? I was almost uncomfortable with how much force I was having to put on my torch head to get it in and out. Made me a little uneasy.
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Right on I will try that.

My easyscriber is a perfect fit in my opinion, no extra clearance that's for sure but it is not tight going in or out.

If your concerned spin it in a drill and sand the end with some 120g sandpaper and take a lick off.

Just taking off .001"-.002" with sandpaper will likely be all you need. Happy Thanksgiving!
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

I’ll chuck it up in my lathe and take a hair off of it. That will give me a reason to use the lathe lol. Happy thanksgiving
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
Jason@bc

Post by Jason@bc »

TJS wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:49 pm I got it. As stated above if using easyscriber in command cnc you have to keep it a plasma type tool. Also turn off as per screen shot above. Dthc off, disable torch, disable motion hold and the final piece of the pie so it stops looking for the z switch is check the box skip touch off after you zero the z. This works good now.
Thanks TJS for this screen shot, I got mine working somewhat...but I didn't do any of the stuff you show on your screenshot, so I guess that's why it doesn't work as well as I think it should.
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

Jason@bc wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:25 pm
TJS wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:49 pm I got it. As stated above if using easyscriber in command cnc you have to keep it a plasma type tool. Also turn off as per screen shot above. Dthc off, disable torch, disable motion hold and the final piece of the pie so it stops looking for the z switch is check the box skip touch off after you zero the z. This works good now.
Thanks TJS for this screen shot, I got mine working somewhat...but I didn't do any of the stuff you show on your screenshot, so I guess that's why it doesn't work as well as I think it should.
Have you tried using the contour operation in sheetcam?
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

SRdesign wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:19 pm I’ll chuck it up in my lathe and take a hair off of it. That will give me a reason to use the lathe lol. Happy thanksgiving
Even better :Like :Like
Jason@bc

Post by Jason@bc »

No I haven't.
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

Jason@bc wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:55 pm No I haven't.
Give that a try. It should be easier
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
TJS

Post by TJS »

I just tried the contour operation with @acourtjester pen tool. I finally got this thing to work as it should. Very easy. Thanks for the tip.
I will try the scriber with this operation when I get a chance. Thanks.

Return to “EasyScriber Drag Style Scriber for Hypertherm”