Super newb. <3

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Jezyka
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Super newb. <3

Post by Jezyka »

Hello everyone!
I just got thrown into plasma cutting with the help of my significant other - and I am trying to learn the tricks on DesignEdge, as I get to be the creator. I've been browsing through the posts here, and I have watched a few vids on YouTube (Joe, you are awesome, thank you). I cannot tell you exactly what he (my other half) is running other than it is Hypertherm. I know, I'm not a pro. :) I hoping to be able to gather a wealth of information from all the experience that is listed on the forums and be able to use the info to my advantage! Right now I am searching on what is the best program to use for turning scanned photos into usable files.

Glad to be here.

Jessica M.
Rexford MT.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Super newb. <3

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome Jessica. You should find lots of help here, sounds like you may have a Plasmacam table with Hypertherm plasma. Turning scanned photos to cutable files without plenty of manual effort is something i have never been able to do but maybe Designedge has something for that. Plenty of Designedge lovers here so hopefully someone chimes in. Best of luck.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome to the site one of the biggest users with lots of info on DesignEdge is David shown as adbuch (site name). He has supplied many of tutorials that has help many with screenshots and operational info.
As to your guest for programs using in making useable file from scanned photos, I know on YouTube there many videos on how to remove the backgrounds from images. This is needed to have the subject stand out more for easier tracing. Also look for images without reflections or odd angles.
Some use manual tracing to highlight what they want from the image. You will learn how to manipulate the programs and that sometimes it take more them one to get results. It becomes easier as you learn the tricks, have fun. Inkscape and the Paint programs are 2 I use often.
questions are welcome and you can also use the search function in the upper right to look around at past post for this subject too. :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jessica - welcome to the forum! Design Edge is great for auto tracing bitmap type images - assuming you have the Advanced Design upgrade for your Design Edge software. If not, the Inkscape "Path, Trace Bitmap" works well also. In fact, I generally use Inkscape for auto tracing, then export as dxf and open with Design Edge for editing.

Here is a short example using Design Edge to auto trace a screen shot of a free image from the internet.

As was previously mentioned, not all images lend themselves to auto tracing, and may require a combination of auto and manual tracing or need to be completely manually traced. For manual tracing with Design Edge, import the image without checking the box for "convert image to vectors". Then use the bulge tool and/or spline tool to manually trace the image.

David
screen shot this image.jpg
original image.jpg
Import bitmap image 1.jpg
Import bitmap image 2.jpg
Import bitmap image 3.jpg
Import bitmap image 4.jpg
Import bitmap image 5.jpg
Import bitmap image 6.jpg
Import bitmap image 7.jpg
Import bitmap image 8.jpg
Last edited by adbuch on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Import bitmap image 9.jpg
Import bitmap image 10.jpg
Here is the resulting dxf file as exported from Design Edge.
rabbits.dxf
(7 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Another function to become very familiar with is the node editing procedure for modifyings the drawings cleaning and reshaping.
this video show this function.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - that's a good point! Sometimes I wish Design Edge had node editing tools. It can accomplish more or less the equivalent, but not manipulation of individual nodes. Inkscape, CorelDraw, and LightBurn all do offer this, so those are good alternatives for Jessica if she wishes to branch out into some of the other programs.
David
Jezyka
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jezyka »

Thanks for the welcomes and the awesome advice! I will definitely look into all your suggestions - and see if I can get them to work in my favor and hopefully post an update! :)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jezyka wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:12 pm Thanks for the welcomes and the awesome advice! I will definitely look into all your suggestions - and see if I can get them to work in my favor and hopefully post an update! :)
Jessica - I almost forgot to mention - your best resource for all things Plasmacam will be Robert Johnson at his Learn Plasmacam site. Robert has a great series of Design Edge youtube videos which I highly recommend to you.
David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”