Newbie!

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Yargekim
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Newbie!

Post by Yargekim »

:HaHa Hi all, just registered. I'm looking at the Langmuir system .Does anyone have any issues with the proprietary software?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie!

Post by acourtjester »

Yes I have, you are locked into a box with any of the proprietary software, but sometime you need to use it, as it may be the only way. They are a way to insure they have future sales for their product or services. It's the old "my way of the highway". They can close off you being able to use other software working with theirs, importing some file types or exporting other file types stopping you from using other software.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard! Langmuir is known for some high quality reliable systems, and I have heard nothing from praise from Langmuir owners - in particular the Crossfire series. While I will agree with Tom that there is always the possibility of Langmuir going out of business or some other situation, I seriously doubt that will happen any time soon. The same could be said for Plasmacam or any of the others that use proprietary control software. If you are really concerned about it, then there are other options to consider. Worst case would be if for some reason Langmuir ceased to support their Fire Control software (which I highly doubt) it would be simple enough to switch to another controller/software - Mach 3/4, Centroid, Linux cnc, etc. But from a price/performance perspective for a low cost "Turn Key" cnc plasma table, I personally don't think you can go wrong with the Langmuir.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, many or the Langmuir owners are using Fusion 360 for their cad/cam software - and Langmuir has some excellent tutorial videos.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion
Fusion 360 tutorials.jpg
The Inkscape/Sheetcam combination is another popular cad/cam option used by many here.

Good luck with your quest for a table, and please let us know if you have any other questions or need more information.

David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”