New member wanting to understand my husband

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
happywife10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New member wanting to understand my husband

Post by happywife10 »

Hello all! Like the title said I am hoping you all can help me understand what in the world my husband is talking about when he is working with his cnc :Yay . He loves metal work and I love the finished products and watching the machine work, but I would like to be able to connect with him more instead of just nodding my head and saying "oh yeah, that's cool!" Can't wait to get to know everyone and start learning! Thanks for being here!
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New member wanting to understand my husband

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome! Plenty of info here if you wanted to dig in and start to learn a few things. Plenty of husband and wife teams here. Have fun!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The video I made for a buddy when I first go started with CNC Plasma, I talk about the process from the art work to the table operational software. It by no means is complete but will give a idea of some of the thing he is doing. Attached is an image of what I was cutting and assembling. It will help you to understand what other things he can do (including wall hanger, plaques, welcome signs, tree ornaments, and others) for you and family. :Love :Like Now understand he can also attach optional tools to the CNC to do other things, like wood routing. this is not only a guy thing I built a table for a lady who did wood routing for the craft shops/flea market.
have fun Tom

check out April Wilkerson here.
jester sign alone.jpg
DSCN2110.JPG
DSCN2115.JPG
DSCN4366.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Hi, and welcome. Do you have names, or do I just refer to you as "Happy Wife" and "(your/her) husband"?

I am surprised that he has not shared his knowledge with you. Especially since you have expressed an interest in learning the mad, mad, mad, mad world of CNC plasma metal art!

So my questions ...

Which CNC plasma table is he running?

Which plasma cutting machine is he using?

What software is he using for design work and cutting?

What does he make? Artsy-fartsy stuff, or is he the guy who churns out bulldozer brackets and farming implement accessories?

What is YOUR interest here? Do you want to make stuff with his (really, YOUR) machine when he is not looking? :HaHa

You are at perhaps the best place on the Internet, to dive into your new hobby/career.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Ahhhh.... April Wilkerson! She makes my heart go pitter-patter. What I wouldn't give to meet a girl like that ... closer to MY AGE, of course! :-o :roll: :wink:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:03 pm...
I am surprised that he has not shared his knowledge with you. Especially since you have expressed an interest in learning the mad, mad, mad, mad world of CNC plasma metal art!
Suffice it to say that I have a lifetime of experience chatting with spouses (I have an ex-wife, a late wife, and a partner). I often teach partner/husband/wife teams in my workshops. I think it's awesome to see a spouse here gaining information and it can be a great, fun journey and I'd encourage the OP to dive in, learn, and ask questions! It can be a great hobby/business to work on and in together as a team! That said, that lifetime of experience with spouses tells me that learning something from a spouse isn't always the easiest route. No need to pick whether the blame for this is a majority the teacher or the student but learning from outside sources and then collaborating seems to be a lot less stressful most of the time! :HaHa
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:00 am
Joe Jones wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:03 pm...
Suffice it to say that I have a lifetime of experience chatting with spouses (I have an ex-wife, a late wife, and a partner). I often teach partner/husband/wife teams in my workshops. I think it's awesome to see a spouse here gaining information and it can be a great, fun journey and I'd encourage the OP to dive in, learn, and ask questions! It can be a great hobby/business to work on and in together as a team! That said, that lifetime of experience with spouses tells me that learning something from a spouse isn't always the easiest route. No need to pick whether the blame for this is a majority the teacher or the student but learning from outside sources and then collaborating seems to be a lot less stressful most of the time! :HaHa
:Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:00 am
You do a lot of good work, Robert. It does not go unnoticed. I hear from people in "the circle" and I hear nothing but glowing reports about what you do in your training sessions. We have two different approaches to the same goal, that of helping others. You are right about a spouse learning from a spouse. Some people are not willing to bring their significant other into their world on that level.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:02 pmYou are right about a spouse learning from a spouse. Some people are not willing to bring their significant other into their world on that level.

Joe

In my case it's been more that maybe the reception wasn't the same wavelength as the transmission? I'm not sure how to describe it. I explain something and try to simplify it and get immediate feedback that I'm not teaching a child..... So I raise the level of technical speech and get more immediate feedback that I'm speaking gibberish and if I'm not going to make it understandable then why am I wasting everyone's time.

Perhaps it comes down to the way we speak and listen to one another.

It is our nature to listen to respond. The best way to listen is, instead, to listen to undersand.

Anyway - maybe our discourse will help the OP and they will have fun perusing this site and learning from everyone. The day I do not learn something new myself is hopefully the day I transition from one side of the grass to the other.
happywife10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by happywife10 »

Hi all! Thanks so much for all the feed back! I think I will learn a lot here! The one thing I do want to clear up, is that it isn't that my husband is not willing to teach me. He is very eager to teach me...but we learn in very different ways. He is a very technical guy and understands anything electrical, mechanical, or technical just by looking at it and he has a hard time breaking down an explanation for me. I am looking to bring his words and explanations here to see if you guys can help break them down in maybe a different way that I can wrap my brain around. Everyone has different ways of explaining the complicated 😀.

Now onto the fun stuff! My name is Tara, my husbands name is Trent and we have a Delusional plasma table. I cannot think of the name of the program he runs, but for his design work, he uses Flexi Sign. To give everyone an idea of what he does with the machine....pretty much everything. Really anything from brackets to small garden decor to 4x6 signage. I like the smaller, cute decor. Little garden gnomes, unicorns, butterflies, and cute, fun sayings.

Thank you all for being here and sharing your feed back! Have a beautiful day!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

What you describe is not unusual, see attached image, we are all individuals so we think differently, but we can talk. Post your questions, cannot let you husband have all the fun. You to can say I made that, lets go. :Yay the image was posted by another member and I find it true.
robert.JPG
robert.JPG (65.25 KiB) Viewed 563 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Hmm... Well, you are not using DesignEdge software, so in the words of the Sharks ... "For that reason, I am out."

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “Introduce Yourself”