Hi im new here

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
WrineX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hi im new here

Post by WrineX »

Hi there
i am new to plasma i began my adventure a month ago , since i make DIY planar magnetic loudspeakers on my youtube channel and some groups and forums. for this purpose a tool that can make prototypes of metal plates with holes and such is great ! (instead of endless milling and insane noise) so i bought a Primeweld 60S from the US .... to be used on my home made cnc router i use for all my projects.

here is the current state in the video playlist

i want to cut mostly 1-2mm steel and i run in several problems that i think can be sulved. so i will be posting some questions later on :)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hi im new here

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome to the site WrineX
Hats of to you for advancing you tool usage, and the thought process. May I point out a few things, not knowing how you are generation your G-codes this option may not be available. With SheetCam you can extend the cut at the end by using a command called overcut. You can expand the length of cutting the path past where you would normally stop by maybe 0.070" (Just an example). And something that may be outside you thought process is magnets with have an effect on the Plasma stream causing it to wobble. As you already see is Plasma produces very fine metal dust that sticks to magnets, you may try drilling and bolting you support metal in place of magnets.
Keep plugging at it and have fun
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WrineX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by WrineX »

THank you for the advice !! at this moment i am limited to cambam as cam software, great for routing.. but by the looks of it not so much for plasma :) i am limited in lead in and outs :( besides that i might need to implement arc oK in mach 3 or get the delay correct. i am also looking for consumables that are smaller 0.6mm if possible since i only cut thin stuff. and i also noticed 20 amps might already be to much if i consider acceleration of the machine.

i just cut a larger piece and i was not happy... warped. do you got any experience with cutting under watter ? it might help me against warping and maybe i might need more amperage :) so i can go a bit slower on 20 amps? just an idea not sure if thats true. though

oh about the wobble and magnets, thats a good point i never thought of that, since it might controll the direction of the plasma a bit :( damned :)

i just ordered some 0.6mm consumables from ali.. i dont expect great quality but i could not find anything else for a PT60 torch
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

When looking a consumable nozzle sizes check what the manufactures amps and speed setting for them. See if you can find a cut chart for the torch nozzles you are using. I am not sure if a Router based table can move fast enough for cutting thin metal. About cutting under water, not sure if you can use a regular torch to do that. I have seen Commercial setup (high production) do use underwater cutting but I sure is is a different setup to do it. Some guys do run the water touching the bottom of the metal, I have not done that myself.
Here is a cut chart for the Fine consumable nozzle for the Hypertherm I use, it may help with some more info.
cut chart.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WrineX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by WrineX »

THank you !for the info !
Thats weird hypertherm recommends 30-40 amps for 1mm..... might be because of the finecut nozzle. since i can cut is with easy with 20 amps. and in my booklet i should run in the region of 4000mm/sec witch i cant for such small holes :(

Return to “Introduce Yourself”