Hello from Colorado

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
TwoRavenForge
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello from Colorado

Post by TwoRavenForge »

Hello everyone, I run a small blacksmith and fabrication shop in the foothills outside Denver. I do not currently own a cnc table however I do know how to write g-code and use solid works due to schooling in the past. As of right now I am trying to find a decent 4x4 table that might be expandable in the future to be bigger and or include cnc pipe cutting. I am no stranger to building things and like the idea of building my own table. However everything beyond building the table base and water bed is a bit beyond me. Otherwise I am willing to buy a premade table however I hear so many stories of cheap tables and software not working that I don't really know where to look now. I am also perfectly willing to buy a used table that has been proven if it is in state. Any advice would be awesome. Until recently when I saw the video on YouTube about building a table to replace a gofab I was looking at those, as they seem to have a decent thc/dhc. If I could find an exact parts list someone used to build one I would do that in a hot second.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Hello from Colorado

Post by WyoGreen »

I'd suggest you go take a look at https://www.candcnc.net/ and see what they have that would work with your own DIY table. There are several people on here (including myself) that have built their own tables. I'm sure they will be chiming in shortly :Yay
My table was built with a gantry from Precision Plasma and the controller and motors from CandCNC.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard! I think it boils down to time vs. money. Is this something you wish to pursue either as a hobby or part time where you are not in a particular hurry to start cutting parts, or would it be more important to buy a "turn-key" system (table, plasma cutter, computer) where you can start cutting parts right away. What is your budget for a cnc plasma cutting system? You will find many on this forum who have gone the DIY route and seem very happy with their results, and just as many who have purchased either used or new turn-key systems and also seem pleased with the path they chose.

In my particular case I was originally looking to do a DIY cutting table, but after research and following some of the documented DIY builds decided to buy a new table. Based on a recommendation from Keith Fenner, I decided to purchase a new Plasmacam DHC2 (4x4) table with the Design Edge software, Hypertherm Powermax 85 plasma cutter, and a suitable pc running Window 7. This was about 4 1/2 years ago. This has been a great system with no problems whatsoever. The current price for a DHC2 with software upgrades around 11K (not including plasma cutter or computer). The DHC2 is easily expandable to 4 x 8 or larger. Plasmacam also manufactures the Sampson 5 x 10 which uses the same controller, servo motors, and software on a larger 5x10 frame.

You can see some of Keith Fenner's videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPDn42AsgfI

Robert Johnson also has an excellent series of Learn Plasmacam Youtube videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LearnPlasmacam/videos

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, you seem to have the understanding of what is needed, and the enthusiasm to get started. I have built my own tables and sold many, it is a rewardable thing to do. As stated the time is a factor, do you have it with your other work, now I'm not talking many months. the big advantage is the knowledge you gain as to the assembly of a table (electronics, inter-connections, and mechanical sections). You also save on the overall cost, you don't pay for somebody's labor, shipping, or profit. There are electronics packages, there are mechanical packages. If you build you can build in for expansion when the need presents itself.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Welcome. I built my table and I knew nothing about CNC plasma cutting at all, not even G-code. There are a lot of builds here so you can get an idea of how to build in regards to a rail kit or other style bearing rail movements. Z-cars can be made or bought. Many control kits are available as well.
T.J.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

TwoRaven I sent you a Private Message from here, in the upper right click on private messages for member communications.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Introduce Yourself”