Noob with dumb questions

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
shares
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Noob with dumb questions

Post by shares »

Hello, noob here with lots of dumb questions.
For example, is there any benefit with an going oiless compressor from a filtration standoint? This from the perspective of a weekend warrior garage type.
Thanks
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Noob with dumb questions

Post by robertspark »

only stupid question is one not asked..... providing you search Google first that is.

the problem with oil less compressors is delivery rate in my experience.... some guys (in the UK ) use hydrovane compressors which are oil less ..... only the hv02 (and above will deliver the air volume required.... which are 3 phase as standard from memory)

I use 2x reciprocating belt driven compressors and 3 stage filtration with a condensing water cooler and rechargable desiccant air dryer.

clean and DRY air is important for cut quality, the oil less compressor bit is probably a bit of a red herring imo as you still have the moisture to deal with
shares
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shares »

Thanks robertspark, specifically I've got a Cut50 knockoff (which requests 4 CFM @ 70 PSI) and wondering if the Kobalt 26 gallon oil-less which claims 4.5 CFM @ 90 PSI is overkill, sufficient, or insufficient for a weekend warrior.

My question is - am I better off (clean air wise) with an oil-less compressor vs a oil lubed compressor - without any regard to noise or burn-up rate. I'm strictly speaking of air condition?
shares
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shares »

Anyone please? Would a weekend warrior be better served with an oil-less compressor or a machine plus an expensive filtration system?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

If all you're concerned about is air quality, I don't think you're going to notice much difference between the oil-less and oil lubed compressors. You're starting with the same air, so moisture and contamination will probably be similar.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

shares wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 pm Anyone please? Would a weekend warrior be better served with an oil-less compressor or a machine plus an expensive filtration system?
I really don't think it matters which type compressor you choose, as long as the end result is clean dry air. I would recommend a refrigerated dryer no matter which way you go. I have heard good things about the Harbor Freight dryer, and it is fairly inexpensive, and often on sale or with coupon discounts.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

shares wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 pm Anyone please? Would a weekend warrior be better served with an oil-less compressor or a machine plus an expensive filtration system?
No, an oil less compressor will serve no advantage unless the alternative was a used oil filled pump compressor that was so worn out that it was pumping oil into your air supply. Either was your will want a good filtration system capable of removing oil, moisture, and particulate.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”