New plasma build in new jersey

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

New plasma build in new jersey

Post by Joe243672 »

Just wondering if anyone on here is from jersey. Ive done everything by the book on my table build and c and cnc. Table works great on thin material. My problem is thicker stuff. ive set rules in sheetcam and everything i think i can do. Basically asking if there is any new jersey people out there that can help a brother out. Table i built out of precision plasma gantry. Have g5 candcnc controls. Just having a heck of a time cuting anything over 1/8 inch. everything is just poor quality. I can set all parameters to material thickness and its just cuts like crap and most of time doesnt even cut everything complete. holes are crap and quality is crap. I know this thing should cut better. i have a hypertherm 85. Before this table i started with a langmuir crossfire with this plasma cutter and it cut way better then what im getting now with ten times the money spent. I also have tons more of air filtration on this new table and it holds steady at 120 psi going into machine during cuts so i know its not pressure.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Hypertherm pm 85 cpc rs-485
Miller 252 mig
Miller dynasty 280 Tic/stick
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
4x8 precision plasma table
G5 c and cnc controls
“ the Shop “ were it all happens
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: New plasma build in new jersey

Post by Joe243672 »

ive also tried fine cut with no better results. The only thing i dont have is a dedicated earth ground that i am going to do tomorrow. but i dont think thats going to make your cuts suck and not penetrate material. Work lead is always on steel im cutting and cuts still suck
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I would recommend dialing back your inlet air pressure (as measured at the air inlet to the plasma cutter with an inline pressure gauge) to no more than 100psi measured while the torch is flowing air. Hypertherm recommends around 85 psi for cutting with the Powermax 85. I doubt your higher inlet air pressure is causing any problems with your cuts, but lowering it may increase the longevity of your machine. The Hypertherm FineCut consumables are intended for cutting 10 ga. and thinner material, so you may want to keep that in mind when cutting thicker materials. It would probably be a good idea to do some test cuts, pause the machine while cutting, and actually measure your cut height to see if it agrees with the 0.060" you have specified in your cut parameter list. Also maybe show us some photos of your problem cuts so we can try to help you.
David
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I assume you have inspected the condition of your nozzle. Hole round and smooth. Also check the o-ring on the torch where the retaining cap screws on (assuming machine torch). Check that the holes in the shield are not blocked. Verify correct cutting height 0.06" with feeler gauge.
Can you post some examples of what your cuts look like so we can help you troubleshoot?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

If I can figure out how to post pics on here I will do tomorrow morning. Fine cut I tried with 3/16 and it sucked switched to brand new everything for 1/4 and it was trash.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe243672 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:14 am If I can figure out how to post pics on here I will do tomorrow morning. Fine cut I tried with 3/16 and it sucked switched to brand new everything for 1/4 and it was trash.
The Hypertherm Cut Charts for FineCut Steel list 10 ga. (0.140") as the maximum thickness for cutting with FineCut consumables. So 3/16" is too thick. Cut 3/16 using the 45 amp shielded settings. By the way, if you use the Hypertherm book settings for the material you are attempting to cut, have a clean oil/moisture free air supply of adequate pressure and flow rate, correct consumables in good condition, good connection between work lead/clamp and material being cut - then you should be getting decent cuts. Also assuming you have no mechanical issues with your table such as loose/worn gears/pulleys/belts, your torch is securely fastened to the torch bracket, and your torch is in good condition with no bad o-rings, broken parts, etc. I would also recommend doing some hand cutting with your plasma cutter just to make sure it is working properly in manual mode - because of course it is imperative that your Hypertherm plasma cutter has no problems or issues as well in order to obtain proper cutting performance. Also make sure that the operating mode switch on the front of your Hypertherm machine is set to the proper mode for continuous cutting (and not gouging, etc.).
David

Hypertherm 65 and 85 operating mode switch.jpg
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

Thanks adbuch. I got it to cut ok but still not cutting holes or corners clean. Also getting slight angle on cuts. I’m trying to get this thing figured out. I use book setting from what came programmed in my sheet cam software. One thing I notice is it seems like the machine is cutting to fast even at book settings. The motor tuning is right on. The height seems to always be ok. But the lines in cut always look like the torch is moving to fast. The lines start straight and half way through the material angle towards the back. I did all the startup test for machine and th dthc. Who knows. I also have the hypertherm connection that programs cutter to what I pic so I don’t even have to touch machine.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe243672 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:46 pm Thanks adbuch. I got it to cut ok but still not cutting holes or corners clean. Also getting slight angle on cuts. I’m trying to get this thing figured out. I use book setting from what came programmed in my sheet cam software. One thing I notice is it seems like the machine is cutting to fast even at book settings. The motor tuning is right on. The height seems to always be ok. But the lines in cut always look like the torch is moving to fast. The lines start straight and half way through the material angle towards the back. I did all the startup test for machine and th dthc. Who knows. I also have the hypertherm connection that programs cutter to what I pic so I don’t even have to touch machine.
I would recommend slowing down on your holes and corners. If you have a setting for corner acceleration, you could try lowering it to help out with your circles and corners. I was referring to the "book setting" from the Hypertherm Manual cut charts, and not any default settings in your sheetcam. Some amount of edge taper is normal with plasma cutting, especially on the thinner stuff. As you go up towards 1/2" material and thicker, the edge taper will decrease. Show us a sample of one of your problem cuts along with the settings you were using for that cut so we can try to help you.
David
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

E2891FBD-1C72-4D47-8E70-28B795424B07.jpeg
1125EDF8-F311-4CF7-80C9-F4470A853EFD.jpeg
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

Those were cut at hypertherm book settings for 1/4 inch I do have the rules for the paths in sheetcam. C and cnc set the computer up with all programs. So there was a hole path rule to slow down to 65 percent on holes
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

Well I found some of m problem. The hypertherm cu carts pre loaded into my computer from c and Cnc were on a lot of them way off the best cut book setting from hypertherm. Don’t know who made the file but a lot of them weren’t even close to book settings. So see if that helps. I just assumed they were all book settings.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

Also was using 85 amp nozzles for 45 amp settings. Didn’t know they were different I just assumed the ones I had for 85 worked the same for 45 amp settings. So have 45 and 65s on order.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe243672 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:17 pm Well I found some of m problem. The hypertherm cu carts pre loaded into my computer from c and Cnc were on a lot of them way off the best cut book setting from hypertherm. Don’t know who made the file but a lot of them weren’t even close to book settings. So see if that helps. I just assumed they were all book settings.
Yes - using "book settings" along with the correct consumables can make all the difference in the world!
David
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Hey Joe,
Looks like you have found your issue with the nozzles. With Command CNC do not add rules. You will get deeper into frustration. Leave the EOC rules there. On holes I slow them down as well. On holes with thicker material I use about .125" overcut on 3/8" material. It takes some playing with to dial in so you don't have to wiggle the drop out to get the part off the table. I have found the latest post processor (I cant remember the number) but on 14ga the pierce delay was 0 seconds. I had issues. I leaned the hard way and I always take the extra time to look at the hypertherm book setting. I am printing them out and laminating them and will hang them next to my monitor.
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

Thanks tjs. I found out 80% of the preloaded tools were wrong. I changed everything to best quality book settings. And got the right nozzles. Just cut some 1/4 inch and the table did awsome. Pretty much zero dross and damn near perfect cuts. I am very impressed with table now. I just thought the preloaded tools would be right and was just using them. That was a huge mistake. Everything is cutting awsome now. Thanks everyone for all your input.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls
TJS

Post by TJS »

Hey Joe,
What Post processor are you on. I am on the latest and that is where I think the tools got banged up cause my 14ga was never zero. Come to think of it; was not the new post processor. It was the update of command CNC 1.2.2. So now all I do is take the extra time to check the book settings and adjust in my "plan".
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

I just got the canscnc setup couple monthes back so everything is the newest. Don’t exactly know haven’t looked but it has all the new updates. Most tools were off. A lot of kerf was off most speeds were off. They had a ton of 0 for pierce even on thick stuff. I went in and changed every tool to beat quality hypertherm settings.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Miller 252 mig
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
G5 c and cnc controls

Return to “Introduce Yourself”