Hello everyone from OR

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
RDDay
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello everyone from OR

Post by RDDay »

I'm part of a small community of metal artists, sculpters, and designers.

We have an old PlasmaCam 4x4 using 3.1 software. The machine has become so buggy and we are fed up with the PlasmaCam outfit that we have not bought into the propriety difficulties they embrace. That being said, I've decided to strip the machine of the control board, drives, homing switches and the THC carridge with more open source, cross-compatible software, motion control board, servos, and torch carriage system.

Also, we have other unique machines that I want to add some automation to, hence the desire to go toward more open source methods. I work with automation and animatronics utilizing microcontrollers, PLC's, etc., I bring the tech bling to our art projects.

I will be posting questions on the PlasmaCam forum as I get going on this project. I definately have questions. I have been searching this forum for a couple months and am quite impressed with the community here. I look forward to becoming a part of the community.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello everyone from OR

Post by djreiswig »

Welcome. Some very smart people here. Ask away, and as time goes on I'm sure you'll have lots to contribute as well.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard! I know of may folks who are still using the Plasmacam DHC with 3.11 and continue to have great success. If you have not already done so, you might consider joining the Plasmacam Owner's Community Online Forum for technical help and support with your problems. While Plasmacam no longer supports 3.11 software, all of the other replacement parts are readily available for your table. I would also recommend joining the PlasmaCAM CNC Tips, Talk, Trade Facebook group where you will find great support and help from other members who are still running 3.11. Robert Johnson, moderator, will be particularly helpful along with Fred Heim and some of the other 3.11 owners/users.

I got into it "late in the game" so my tables are the Plasmacam DHC2 running Design Edge software. I have been running them for over 4 years now with no problems whatsoever.

On the other hand, if you like to tinker and enjoy a challenge, then I think you will have some fun (and possibly some frustration) attempting to strip down and mod your existing table. Please keep us informed as you proceed with your project as it will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Thanks,
David
MisterFixIt1952
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MisterFixIt1952 »

Hi, I live in Portland. I have a well-equipped machine shop with a mill, metal lathe, welders (MIG & TIG), and just about any tool you could need including a, soon to be working, CNC mill. If I can help in any way, with your project, please let me know. I'm always looking to meet other machinists, artists, and creative thinkers in the area.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”