New here with a langmuir

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Culturedpunk
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New here with a langmuir

Post by Culturedpunk »

Just been search the web for more sites full of info on what I got myself into. Paid for the membership and then registered ... Did it backwards hahahaha

But what's the best best design software do you suggest?

I am using cushion 360 and have found it's easier to use inkscape to make dxf files off of drawings I make photoshop then just use sheetcam to create the g code. Cushion 360 is what I use for more precise sizes.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New here with a langmuir

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome! I use CorelDraw for artistic stuff and Fusion 360 for mechanical designs. Both a little costly compared to other options but it works for me and certainly pays for itself.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard! I think it depends what you are designing. Many folks seem to use Inkscape for artistic designs, but there is definitely a learning curve. The free version of Fusion 360 is great for "mechanical" designs. I like Inkscape for auto-tracing existing images to create dxf files. I mainly use Design Edge for editing and general file cleanup. I also like Paint.net for file conversion and some image editing.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, it seems software is a little personal, each of use have different views. If you have some that work for you, stay the course. Changing because someone else like one can slow you down. I'm not saying don't look you never know what may work better. I went snooping for Cushion 360 software the only thing Google showed was things you sit on, but I had to look. :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
Culturedpunk
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Culturedpunk »

sorry for the late response... i had some medical issues arise... but fortunately it gave me time to dig through inkskape and camsheet.

i agree fushion is for mechanical stuff and inkscape is great to take my photoshop skills to and turn into a vector or svg/dxf. then sheetcam just quickly turns it into a file that firecontrol can use way faster than "Cushion" 360 hahahahaha

thanks for the help guys
jmersereau
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jmersereau »

I use Lightburn, I started with a laser engraver so I was already familiar with it. I paid $80 for the first year that covers a year of "free" updates. If you want to keep getting the updates it is $30/year. If you are happy with the version you have at the end of the first year it doesn't cost you anything more.

I like the features of Lightburn for tracing, node editing, easy text manipulation and import/exporting. They have great YouTube tutorials and free demo download so you can try it out.

Then I use SheetCam and finally sending to FireControl running on the CrossFire PC in my garage.

Jim

Jim
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
LightBurn, SheetCAM, FireControl
YESWELDER Digital MIG-205DS MIG
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

+1 for LightBurn
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like

I don't use it too much, but I was the one who convinced them to add the "export as dxf" feature several years ago. At the time I was mainly using it for auto-tracing of jpeg files. I have since found that I sometimes have better luck using Inkscape for this function. It's hard to learn the ins and outs of all these programs without spending some serious time using them. These days my go-to program is Design Edge, which unfortunately is only available with the purchase of one of the Plasmacam/Sampson tables.

David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”